|Date Posted:||Jun 27, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jul 4, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Engineering,Construction Management,Project Management|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 - 4 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
About Afghanistan railway authority:
Afghanistan’s infrastructure was largely destroyed during the Soviet invasion, civil conflicts after 1979, and poor maintenance since then. In more than 30 years of conflict virtually no development took place, leaving a huge infrastructure deficit. After 2002, Afghanistan planned to develop major infrastructure projects such as the national rail network, electrical systems whose demands are increasing by 25 per cent annually, national road networks, dams and airfields, all critical issues for Afghanistan.
Type of Appointment:
National Contracted Staff
Construction & maintenance directorate - Kabul
1.0 Job Description
As a Project Manager, he will be responsible for the management, quality control and delivery of construction projects. He is responsible and should submit report directly to the construction & maintenance director. His management role is to ensure that deliverables are produced with quality and on time by monitoring progress and providing advice and support. He must be proficient in the identification, analyses, and resolution of problems and effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling, monitoring of project activities and implement the project as per technical specification, procurement law and regulation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of Project Manager will include but not limited to:
- Handle procurement activities for the project implementation;
- Reporting directly to construction & maintenance directorate (ARA),
- Undertaking the technical review of the submitted designs by Consultants/Contractors to ensure consistency and a high standard of output.
- Assisting in options analysis and value engineering of the designs
- Review progress reports submitted by the Consultants to assess project implementation and assist the related Director in communicating important decisions of the Employer (ARA) to the Consultants to avoid potential delays. Coordinate/liaise with Consultants, Contractors, other Ministries.
- Ensure that the works are implemented in accordance with the technical specifications specified in the contract and interim Railway standards.
- Interact with the Consultants/contractor on a day-to-day basis concerning implementation and take corrective measures.
- Ensuring that the Supervision team perform in accordance with the contract. Processing of various contractual matters including approval of variations, grant of extension of time etc.,
- Periodical visits to the site to assess implementation of the project and resolve any issue relating to the Contractors/Consultants. Review the recommendations of the ‘Engineer’ on designs prepared by the civil works contractors, a method of implementation, final testing, commissioning of the project, etc., and accord Employer’s approval.
- Review the IPCs/invoices submitted by the Consultants/Contractors and recommend for payment. Ensuring compliance with loan/grant covenants.
- Assisting in the analysis of field data, reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, tests, and aerial photographs to plan and design projects.
- Responsible for other general office duties as may be assigned.
- A master degree in Engineering, Construction Management or Project management with a minimum of 3 Years of experience (Preferred) / or a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or Transport Engineering with minimum 4 years of the experience;
- Must have Previous experience in International Competitive Bidding (ICB) projects,
- Relevant professional affiliations in the fields above (Preferred);
- Experience should include public procurement, contract administration, and (preferred Railway/Road Projects).
- Extensive experience interfacing with contractors, consultant, and client preferably projects financed by international organizations;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Demonstrated leadership in managing multidisciplinary teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- A degree in a related field (Transportation & Civil Engineering);
- Planning & Organizing - Ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities;
- Communications - Good communication (spoken and written) skills, including ability to prepare written documents/communications;
- Technology Awareness – Good computer skills using MS Office, AutoCAD, Civil3d, Primavera, Ms Project and the Internet,
- Teamwork - Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people;
- Fluency in English language is required;
- Fluency in written and spoken Dari/Pashto is required;
- Ability to draft letters in Dari/Pashto and English;
- Ability to coordinate with senior officials (who are members of bids evaluation committees, and consultant selection committees)
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure;
- Willingness and ability to travel inside Afghanistan
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Interested candidates are requested to send their application (complete C.V along with a cover letter and Educational documents) to Human Resource Department, by Email:
Please mention the name of the position in the subject bar. Only complete applications will be accepted and short listed candidates will be contacted.