|Date Posted:||Dec 3, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Dec 31, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||8 - 10 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) promotes socially and environmentally sustainable human settlements development and the achievement of adequate shelter for all. It is the lead agency within the UN system for coordinating activities in the field of cities and other human settlements. Through drawing together cooperation with committed partners, relevant stakeholders, and urban actors, including at all levels of government as well as the private sector, UN-Habitat is applying its technical expertise, normative work and capacity development to implement the New Urban Agenda and Sustainable Development Goal 11 – to make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
UN-Habitat established a presence in Afghanistan early 1992.The overarching vision of UN-Habitat’s work in Afghanistan is for prosperous, inclusive and equitable human settlements that reduce poverty and contribute to national stability and development. The mission of the UN-Habitat Country Programme is to transform lives through enhancing access to urban land, housing and services, while making systems and institutions responsive to people’s views and needs.
UN-Habitat’s Country Programme Strategy 2016-2019 is focused on three thematic focus areas:
§ Planned and Well-Governed Settlements to enhance the government’s capacity to guide the development of human settlements in a participatory, equitable and accountable manner while ensuring access to basic services;
§ Inclusive Settlements to improve access to affordable land and housing, services and infrastructure for all residents of human settlements with a focus on poor and female-headed households, including IDPs and returnees.; and
§ Prosperous Settlements to contribute to towns and cities being hubs of economic activity that generate sustainable employment and enable residents ─ particularly the young ─ to acquire productive skills.
Integral to each of these Focus Areas are cross-cutting issues of gender, youth, and development of national capacity, environmental protection and disaster risk reduction.
UN-HABITAT has presence in 10 provinces of the country, including five major cities and works in implementing its strategy through Four programmes: Afghanistan Urban Peace building Programme (AUSSP), Clean and Green Cities (CGC), City for All (K-SMNP and MGSP), and SHURA, Operations Division and Knowledge Management Unit (KMU
The Regional Manager is primarily responsible for overall coordination of all UN-Habitat programmes in the region and related provinces under their responsibility and report to the Country Programme Manager (CPM).
Provinces to travel:
Language and Communication Skills:
· Fluency in written and oral English and Dari or Pashto is required.
· Full competency with computer software such as Microsoft word and excel. Excellent communication skills – both written and interpersonal will be essential, as most of the work will be done through a process of consultation at all levels.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1) Programme management oversight and technical assistance to local authorities and partners in western region provinces where UN-Habitat programmes are operating:
· Support staff recruitment, retention and capacity devleopment for programmes in cooperation with the Team Leaders, National PMs and International CTAs;
· Oversee programme implementation and support Team Leaders to ensure timely and results-orientated programme delivery;
· Support the development of Provincial/Regional workplans (quarterly and annual) and ensure all staff and programme partners are aware of the targets and milestones; Take corrective action when required;
· Work closely with government progrmame partners and assist them in achieving programme objectives;
· Ensure high-quality technical assistance to local government authorities and partners in line with programme objectives and the UN-Habitat Country Programme Document 2015-19 (HCPD);
· Support results-based programme monitoring, reporting and evaluations.
2) Ensure synergies and cross fertilization of programmes to best support the local authorities and partners in all provinces under respsonsibility:
· Coordinate information flow and cooperation across programmes of UN-Habitat in the provinces under responsibily;
· Ensure coordination with all UN-Habitat programmes in region of responsibility, ensuring synergies across all activities and cost-effective implementation;
· Responsibility for financial oversight and accurate accounting of all programmes in geographic area of responsibility in line with UN rules and regulations;
· Lead in the systematic mainstreaming of cross cutting issues of gender, youth, climate change and human rights in programme activities.
3) Lead in representing UN-Habitat in local forums and improving partnerships with local stakeholders in all provinces under responsibility:
· Lead in representing UN-Habitat in local (regional/provincial /municipal) forums to promote sustainable urbanisation and adequate shelter for all;
· Lead in represtnating UN-Habitat at the local level in UN meetings, events, and coordination meetings, including UNRTs, Regional SMTs, etc.;
· Lead local advocacy and communication activities to promote sustainable urbanisation;
· Lead in responding to government and partner requests, including natural and conflict induced disasters, to ensure UN-Habitat is positioned to support and respond as required;
· Lead in identifying new programme opportunities and technical assistance needs, including identifying and mobilsing resources in line with priorities of the GoIRA.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Herat
At least a Master degree in engineering, architecture, urban planning/design, urban studies, political science, management, land studies, business studies, or related discipline. A bachelor with at least ten years of relevant experience will be accepted in lieu of a Master Degree.
At least ten years of experience with:
(i) managing complex urban development programming in Afghanistan;
(ii) Working within the UN system in Afghanistan, in English language;
(iii) Donor and partner engagement and resource mobilization for new programming;
(iv) Community-based development;
(v) Capacity development of government and partners in urban development.