|Date Posted:||Jul 17, 2021|
|Closing Date:||Jul 30, 2021|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Financial/Budget Planning,Administrative|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade CAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||6 month(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry of Education (MoE):
The UNICEF assisted Country Programme of Cooperation for 2015-2021 (CP) is being implemented in collaboration with the Government of Afghanistan and aims at addressing inequities to enable all children, adolescents and women to have access to quality basic services and fulfil their rights to survival, development, protection and participation.
The Education component of the CP builds upon the current status of basic education in the country and contributes to the national efforts to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs 4& 5).
The Education component is in line with the ongoing Education Reform agenda and National Education Strategic Plan (NESP III 2017-2021), contributing to the following priorities: a) Increased Gross Enrolment Rate to 131.6% in primary education, 95.4% in lower secondary, and 65.4% in upper secondary education; and b) Increased enrolment in General Education to 11.4 million children.
UNICEF Outcome statement: Girls and boys of school age, especially vulnerable children in deprived provinces and areas, access primary education that is progressively child friendly and demonstrates improved learning outcomes
 Current NESP III Targets as per original proposal targets were defined from NESP II
The overall goal of this position is to assist the Finance and Resource Mobilization Deputy Ministry with strengthening Ministry financial management system as informed by the reform agenda, with a focus on Ministry-UNICEF joint education interventions.
The overall responsibility of the Senior Admin and Finance Office is to identify, within the reform agenda, key priorities to strengthen and streamline admin and financial management system at the Ministry of Education (MoE).
The incumbent is also responsible to review financial documents, identify gaps, and produce financial reports while suggesting corrective actions (as and when necessary). In addition, post holder should facilitate financial management of UNICEF-supported National Technical Assistants (e.g., payment process) as in line with the Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfers (HACT) assurance measurements
Duties & Responsibilities:
The specific duties and responsibilities of Senior Admin and Finance Officer include, but not limited, to:
· Monitoring financial transactions and analyses while contributing to financial policy development and appraisal,
· Lead the design, delivery, and associated evaluation of development projects, especially of their financial and technical contents,
· Review operational policies, procedures, guidelines and provide feedback (as and if needed),
· In close collaboration with MoE’s HR Department and UNICEF Afghanistan Country Office, facilitate UNICEF-supported NTAs’ financial transition and management such as preparing finical documents (e, g., pre-approval and FACE/ICE forms, collecting and submitting time sheet, etc.) and facilitating monthly payments in line with HACT practices,
· Assess and proposes responses to strategic financial risks in light of MoE objectives,
· Provide technical advice on the standards expected in the execution, analysis, recording, and tracking of MoE financial systems,
· Oversee financial management processes in relevant to UNICEF projects to assure greater transparency and accountability while advising for further improvements,
· Support adoption of best financial practices vis-a-vis external donors, partners, and beneficiaries,
· Ensure that any commissioned evaluations meet quality standards (effectiveness, efficiency, relevance, sustainability, and impact), and that the findings contribute to education programs/projects,
· Contribute to budget preparation, collate budget and planned activities, and recommend planned based budgeting approach,
· Facilitate regular programmatic visits/monitoring linked to NTAs’ performance and contributions,
· Support Deputy Ministry of Finance and Resource Mobilization with producing financial reports,
· Proactively follow and keep track of UNICEF projects, contracts, accountable grants, Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) deadlines, and payment milestones,
· Conduct financial and administrative assessment at the program level and improve existing gaps,
· Support performance staff capacity gaps analysis (especially in financial areas) and provide necessary coaching/training to MoE staff to improve practical knowledge,
· Ensure financial transparency requirements are met, and
· Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor.
· Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Financial Management or in the relevant field; Master’s degree (preferred).
· Minimum 5years of relevant working experience
· Experience in government ministries and/or development projects (essential)
· Proven experience in general administration, finance, and accounting (essential)
· Proven experience in procurement, preparation of financial reports, and budget variance analysis.
Skills and Competencies
· In-depth understanding of financial management
· Excellent communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Excellent presentation skills
· Excellent analytical skills
· Good coordination and reporting skills
· Outstanding problem-solving skills
Languages: Written and Spoken fluency in English, Pashto and Dari languages is a must