|Date Posted:||May 15, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 28, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Financial Management|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade BAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 - 4 Years|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||1 month|
About Ministry of Education (MoE):
The Ministry of Education (MoE) is the largest employer among governmental bodies of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, employing 65% of the civil service.In order to reach its goals and objectives, the MoE recruits employees through open competition and merit-based selection; consequently enhancing civil service capacity and strengthening the current system of governance.
Afghanistan is one of the poorest countries in the world, ranking as the 18th least developed country on the Human Development Index. According to the National Risk and Vulnerability Assessment (ALCS, 2013-14), 39% of the Afghan population lives below the poverty line. Thirty years of conflict have resulted in the destruction of the country’s education system in terms of infrastructure, resources and curricula (NVRA, 2011-12). Following the Back-to-School Campaign in 2002, school enrolment has registered a dramatic increase. In the primary and secondary sub-sector, enrolment increased from around 900,000 children, in 2001, almost all boys, to over 8.6 million in 2013, of which 39% are girls.
Despite significant progress, access to education continues to be a challenge in Afghanistan. An estimated 3.5 million children of primary school age remain out of school, the majority of them being girls (75%). A combination of demand-side, supply-side, and systemic barriers and bottlenecks have been identified as reasons for children being out of school.
Overall, the purpose of the technical assistance is to support the MoE and especially H.E the Minister of Education in achieving the results set out in the National Education Strategic Plan 2017-2021 (NESP III).
Provinces to travel:
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills (essential).
· High level of integrity, strong result orientation, drive for excellence, and initiative.
· Strong organizational and effective time management skills (essential).
· Strong ICT skills, including the MS Office software package – Word, Excel, Outlook (essential).
· Excellent knowledge of financial and accounting software.
· Excellent writing and presentational skills (essential).
· Understanding of education development terminology (essential).
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Responsible for financial tracking and analysis, as well as contributing to policy development and appraisal.
· Responsible for leading the design, delivery, and associated evaluation of development projects, especially of their financial and technical content.
· Assesses and proposes responses to strategic risks in light of MoE objectives.
· Responsible for providing technical advice on the standards expected in the execution, analysis, recording, and tracking of MoE financial systems.
· Oversees financial controls and management processes in relevant MoE projects and advise for further improvements.
· Supports adoption of best financial practices vis-a-vis external donors, partners, and beneficiaries.
· Ensures that any commissioned evaluation meets quality standards (effectiveness, efficiency, relevance, sustainability and impact), and that their findings are discussed, into education programs/projects.
· Conduct regular programmatic visits/monitoring of all school construction projects of the MoE in Kabul and provinces and prepare timely reports and propose feasible solutions
· Establish strong coordination platform between the MoE and key stakeholders particularly Education Development Partners.
· Proactively follows up and keeps track of projects, contracts, accountable grants, Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) deadlines, and payment milestones.
· Conduct financial and administrative assessment at the program level and improve existing gaps
· Performance staff capacity gaps analysis (especially in financial areas) and provide necessary coaching/training to MoE staff to improve practical knowledge.
· Ensures transparency requirements are met.
Performs any other task assigned by H.E. the Minister’s Office.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Financial Management or equivalent in the relevant field
· At least 3- to 4 years of relevant working experience in the field
· Experience in government ministries and/or development projects (essential).
· Experience in general administration, finance, and accounting (essential).
· Experience in procurement, preparation of financial reports, and budget variance analysis.
· Personnel management skills. An ability to delegate, follow up, supervise, and support.
· Fluency in spoken and written English as well as Dari or Pashto (essential).
· Ability to work in a team as well as under own initiative (essential).
· Tact and diplomacy at all times (essential).
· Understanding of the Islamic faith and Afghan culture.
Commitment to Afghanistan’s development.
Interested Afghan candidates should submit their letter of interest (cover letter) along with the updated resumes to:
HR, MINISTRY OF EDUCATION Deh Afghanan, Gul Bahar Center, Ministry of Foreign Street, 7th floor first Corridor first office, Kabul, Afghanistan
no later than 28th May 2019, candidates who have access to the Internet can send their applications to the below email.
You are requested to send your letter of interest along with the updated resume. Please mention post title and vacancy number in the subject line of your email (NO APPLICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT SUBJECT LINE. THE APPLICATION MUST HAVE SUBJECT LINE INDICATING TITLE AND VACANCY NUMBER). However, do not email us heavy sized files such as your certificates, recommendation letters, etc. We kindly request all the applicants to mention their graduation date of the university and must clearly write the date of experiences in the CV. THOSE WHO DO NOT FULFILL THE APPLYING REQUIREMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR SHORTLIST. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted with and called for the test and interview. The test & interview dates, time and place will be determined and communicated with the shortlisted candidates only sooner after the deadline of the vacancy announcement.
Ministry of Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
MoE does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, handicap, religion, ethnic origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Candidates with disabilities and qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.