|Date Posted:||Jun 24, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jul 8, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade BAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 7 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
DAI is implementing the USAID funded Afghanistan Competitiveness of Export-Oriented Businesses Activity (ACEBA) Program. The objective of this program is to enhance capacities of Afghan exporters and micro, small, and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) associated with export-oriented value chains, such as carpets, marble and granite, precious stones and jewelry, textiles, and cashmere as a means of promoting sustainable economic growth and increasing employment.
The Senior Environmental Engineer will coordinate with the technical and operations teams in the planning and implementation of all project activities that have an environmental impact assessment, engineering, or construction requirements. The Senior Environmental Engineer will be responsible for overseeing environmental impact assessments for program activities and grants, supporting grantees in the collaboration phase to identify and mitigate environmental risks, and developing documentation and submissions for obtaining Mission Environmental Office approval for activities and grants. In addition, the Senior Environmental Engineer will oversee the inspection of potential activity sites and assessment of partner and beneficiary facilities and infrastructure that are related to activity implementation, as well as any repairs, modifications, or construction that may be required to make these ready for activity implementation. S/he may travel to project sites across the region to undertake environmental impact assessments, environmental monitoring and reporting.
Duties & Responsibilities:
OBJECTIVE AND DUTIES:
• Lead finalization of project Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP) documents, activity-level impact assessments, and relevant donor reporting.
• Fully understand the Environmental Manual for the ACEBA Program, including all technical requirements set in the 22 CFR 216 the Foreign Assistance Act’s Environmental Procedures and ACEBA’s approved Initial Environmental Examination.
• Train Regional Engineers in environmental compliance requirements and serve as the environmental compliance resource for ACEBA program team.
• Oversee processing of environmental compliance documentation, such as Environmental Review Form (EFR) for each activity to be implemented by ACEBA partners. This includes conducting the screening of each activity in light of the environmental compliance and to determine the recommended Environmental Determination and the Subproject Risk Categorization.
• Develop Environmental Mitigation Plans and Risk Mitigation Measures with ACEBA partners and beneficiaries as required by intended activities. As needed, contribute necessary documentation, such as Environmental Review Reports, to obtain USAID clearances from the Office of Infrastructure, Energy, and Engineering as well as other required permits, licensing, or other regulatory requirements in accordance with the laws and regulations of Afghanistan.
• Ensure that comprehensive and accurate reporting information for activities are included into DAI’s project management and administrative system (TAMIS).
• Cooperate with the monitoring and evaluation project staff, providing required information.
• Conduct reviews of MSMEs’ structural, electrical, plumbing requirements for procurement upgrades or improvements;
• Provide guidance to regional engineers on technical opinions for construction work. Coordinate on preparation of engineering drawings and plans and materials specifications as needed to obtain USAID approval for construction works and to guide implementation
• Review plans and construction designs and corresponding construction budgets
• Oversee implementation of infrastructure projects in region, including technical and administrative aspects of implementation; conduct site-visits and review engineering and equipment commissioning reports to advise ACEBA management of progress, problems, and quality of work;
• Any other duties required by his/her supervisor, or COP.
• Master’s degree and 5 years’ work experience, or Bachelor’s with 7 years’ relevant experience
• Degree in Engineering required. Degree and/or training in Environmental Engineering or similar field preferred.
• Experience with environmental compliance on USAID programs preferred.
• Prior experience or training in undertaking environmental impact assessments and in developing monitoring and mitigation plans.
• Experience and willingness to work in rural areas.
• Fluency in English required. Fluency in Dari and/or Pashto preferred.
The Senior Environmental Engineer will be based in the Kabul main office and will report to the Senior Implementation Services Director.