|Date Posted:||Dec 22, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Jan 10, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Telecome Engineering|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||6 - 7 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry of communication and IT:
The Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT), Islamic Republic of Afghanistan has received Grant from the World Bank for execution of Digital CASA Afghanistan Project and intends to apply part of the proceeds to hire a qualified Individual Consultant (an Afghan National) to work as Senior Government Network Specialist of the project and to carry out relevant procurement capacity building in MCIT.
The aim of the Digital CASA Afghanistan Project is: (i) to strengthen the Regional and expand National level broadband connectivity based on Optical Fiber Networks; (ii) to boost up digital society and economy through e-Governance initiatives and (iii) to prepare an enabling environment and Regulation for the growth of ICT Sector in Afghanistan. The project will do so by: (a) strengthening of broadband connectivity in the region; (b) expansion and strengthening of national broadband connectivity in Afghanistan; (c) Commissioning of a Network called “GovNet” to connect some of the Government Offices at Central and Provincial Government levels; (d) Automation of citizen-centric services through e-Governance initiatives; (e) Automation of e-Governance mechanisms and strengthening of e-Delivery Platforms; (f) framing up of Regulations, Policies, Strategies and Policies for growth of ICT Sector.
To contribute towards achievement of some of the above-mentioned objectives of Digital CASA
Afghanistan Project, MCIT has decided to avail the consultancy services of an Individual Consultant to work as Senior Government Network Specialist in the project implementation unit (PIU) of Digital CASA Afghanistan Project.
- Be the technical focal point of Digital CASA PIU (Project Implementation Unit) for feasibility studies, surveys and implementation projects to establish, enhance or expand the government network (GovNet).
- Oversee the progress of different consultancies and projects under Digital CASA and recommend technical changes deemed necessary for reaching the goals of the projects.
- Ensure efficient implementation of the Government Network project under Digital CASA, effective monitoring/ evaluation and testing plan for the OFC Routes and other last mile access technologies (wireless and wired) to be used and necessary active equipment, with a view to have reliable and secure government network having inter-operability with the existing Infrastructure.
- Ensure that the implemented systems meet the technical standards defined in contract(s) of the selected firm(s).
- Ensure that all the Project Activities are carried out in accordance with the signed contract(s) with the selected Vendors/Suppliers/Contractors/Sub-Contractors and all the items supplied to MCIT are of standard quality.
- Work in close coordination with Senior ESM Specialist to ensure that the Environmental/ Safeguards aspects are fully met during the execution of the government network project.
Requires travel to provinces:
- Hands on experience with data/IP networks, WANs and LANs.
- Hands on experiences with OFC infrastructure rollout is an advantage.
- Previous or current professional International Certification, CCNA or equivalent is an advantage.
- Experience of working in a World Bank funded project is desirable.
- Fluency in English and in one of the official languages of Afghanistan (Dari or Pashto) and good reading, writing, listening & speaking skills.
- Good communication and inter-personal skills;
- High integrity and accountability, leadership and good team work spirit.
- Problem solving skills and ability to work under pressure.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepare/propose designs for Government network enhancement and expansion.
- Review technical specifications, BOQ and other technical documents submitted by the firms for enhancement/expansion of Government network and other relevant projects implemented by Digital CASA Afghanistan.
- Review the technical design and specifications for the expansion and optimization of Government Network in Afghanistan and recommend the necessary changes with scalability to be part of reginal Internet Exchange Point.
- Review the hardware, software and capacity building needs for the enhancement of Afghanistan government network.
- To ensure that Surveys of OFC (Optical Fiber Cable) or microwave routes are carried out by the contractors with a view to prepare the finalized PIP and the BOMs.
- To finalize the Project Plans and related Activities during the kick-off Meeting and present the same for approval.
- To lead all activities of government network rollout and support.
- To get quality assurance checks carried out and take remedial actions wherever necessary.
- To recommend payments for the Project Items and Activities which are carried out satisfactorily by the Contractor and which are in accordance with the Contractual obligations.
- To ensure that Environmental Safeguards are adhered to both by the Contractors’ Staff during the execution of the Project.
- To propose necessary steps or measures to overcome any critical delays in project implementation.
- To ensure that all legal covenants of the projects are fully met.
- To advise/assist Director of Digital CASA on all aspects of planning, technical, procurement, disbursement and auditing issues arising from implementation of the Government network Project(s).
- To ensure that Provisional or Final Acceptance Tests are carried out judiciously, before initiating the issuance of Provisional or Final Acceptance Certificates by MCIT.
- To ensure effective communication and consultations with all stakeholders and to facilitate the preparation of public releases of the project information.
- To train MCIT’s staff on the Government network Outdoor Plant and Indoor Systems/ Equipment that are used in the Project(s).
- To submit adhoc and Monthly Reports to the Director of Digital CASA and also to conduct Briefing Sessions for the relevant department(s) when required.
- Conduct training need assessments, identify training courses & institutes and propose technical trainings for relevant MCIT, ATRA and PIU Staff.
- Any other tasks assigned by the project director of Digital CASA Afghanistan project.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul, Kabul
- Bachelor degree in electrical or electronics engineering, telecommunication, IT/computer science/engineering or any other relevant fields.
- At least 7 years of experience in the field of Telecommunication and/or IT, 3 years of which shall be relevant experience in network planning and design either in telecommunication transmission/transport or IP networks, experience in both will be an added advantage.
- Experience in Transmission network rollout, operation and maintenance is required.