|Date Posted:||May 13, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 23, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||8 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps helps people turn the crises they confront into the opportunities they deserve. Driven by local needs, our programs provide communities in the world’s toughest places with the tools and support they need to transform their own lives. Our worldwide team in 42 countries is improving the lives of 19 million people. For more information, please visit our website: http://www.mercycorps.org. ;
Mercy Corps has been working in Afghanistan continuously since 1986 with a large portfolio of programs addressing the promotion of sustainable licit livelihoods, agriculture development, youth vocational and natural resource management; it has helped more than 2.5 million Afghans through these wide-range of community–based agriculture and economic development programs. It is to mention that currently Mercy Corps is working in Kabul, Kandahar, Helmand, Takhar, Badakhshan, Parwan and Baghlan.
Mercy Corps has been continuously operational in Afghanistan since 1986, implementing more than 50 programs and is currently working in seven provinces of Afghanistan. Mercy Corps has emerged as a leader in the fields of agriculture, natural resources management, vocational training, renewable energy and economic development. Programs focus on the improvement of the lives and livelihoods of Afghan farmers, businesspersons and women, with an increasing focus on youth.
The KfW funded Economic Infrastructure Development for Afghanistan (EIDA) is part of the NRM Sector of the Mercy Corps Afghanistan Country Program.
The Project concerns the rehabilitation of existing yet dysfunctional or inefficient small irrigation systems mainly used for wheat growing in the Northern provinces of Afghanistan. The purpose of the Project is geared towards (i) a quantitative and qualitative increase in yield and yield stability of wheat cultivation per hectare and farming family; (ii) an increased share in created value at the producers’ level through better marketing timing, lower production and transport costs; (iii) a reduction of losses along the wheat value chain from seeds to standing crop to grain; (iv) the creation and/or safeguarding of up to 5,000 jobs or income equivalent; (v) raising incomes for some 7,500 families by at least 600 USD p.a. The Project thus contributes to a sustainable economic development by improving wheat cultivation as well as the efficiency and effectiveness of the wheat value chain thus raising incomes and creating jobs in rural areas of Northern Afghanistan.
Position Title: Senior Irrigation Design Engineer
Duty Station: Based in Taloqan with frequent travel to Kabul and other program targeted provinces (Badakhshan, Baghlan and Samangan)
The Senior Irrigation Design Engineer will be the Mercy Corps-EIDA project’s senior technical person. This position is responsible for all Engineering, infrastructure and irrigation aspects of the EIDA projects in the assigned targeted area. Senior Irrigation Design Engineer will supervise engineering team and work closely with Irrigation Engineers/Hydrologists to select projects, conduct feasibility assessments in collaboration with other program staff, develop design and estimation of the projects and supervise project implementation. In addition to overall technical project management, the Senior Irrigation Design Engineer will work closely with WUA/IAs, CDCs, farmers and other stakeholders to build their capacity on O&M of the rehabilitated/constructed structures.
Requires travel to provinces:
· Strong organizational and communication skills.
· Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
· Excellent oral and written skills in English, Dari and Pashto languages.
· Experience in developing clear and concise construction documents for tender
· Experience in reviewing tenders and developing recommendation for award
· Strong construction management experience including ability to review contractor work plans, budgets and work progress
· Strong computer skills on MS Office programs, Auto CAD 2D and 3D, Primavera, MS project, irrigation system design software and MS office.
· Demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action to not delay program activities.
· A clear understanding of assets, transport, property ethics and donor compliance is essential.
· Should have the ability to have frequent travels to all irrigation projects.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Under supervision of Program Manager, the Senior Infrastructure Design Engineer will work together with the Irrigation Design Engineers/Hydrologists to ensure that all infrastructure projects are implemented in the selected communities.
- Senior Irrigation Design Engineer should have full knowledge of designs of irrigation canals, siphons, culverts, retaining walls, small and medium size bridges, passageways, spillways and all irrigation related structures.
· He/she is responsible to lead selection of projects, conducting feasibility studies, preparing design, cost estimation, preparing work plans, implementation of the infrastructure projects.
· In coordination with program leadership, M&E team, communities and construction companies will ensure quality and timeless of all projects.
· Conduct frequent site visits to determine any deviation and challenges, and suggest appropriate solutions.
· Prepare technical specification for infrastructure projects.
· Prepare all technical documentation for the tendering process.
· Provide construction management supervision including oversight of work onsite, materials testing, report development, verification of quantities, processing payment requests and handover procedures
· Provide feedback to the Monitoring and Evaluation system in order to assess the effectiveness of the projects and impact, and propose recommendations for improvements.
· Identify training need and deliver capacity-building activities both for the program engineering team as well as for beneficiaries.
· Ensure full adherence to the MC security plans and protocols conscientiously respecting the declared 'go' and 'no-go' zones.
· Coordinate and communicate with local authorities, program monitoring consulting firm, donor and other implementing partners to avoid overlapping and obtain all necessary no objection certifications.
· Ensure that there is community contribution during the implementation phase either through cash, labour or in kind.
· Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian/development mission in Afghanistan.
· Prepare site visit and quality check reports and contribute to overall program reporting to the donor and the government.
· Ensure and maintain a proper filing system as both hard copies and soft copies.
· Assist in development and evaluation of subcontracts with technical experts outside of Mercy Corps
· Identify staffing needs within the technical team and coordinate with office leadership to review CVs, interview candidates and recommend new hires.
· Lead QA/QC process ensuring all technical reviews are conducted according to best practices.
· Coordinate with Mercy Corps HQ staff as required for assistance
· Other duties assigned by supervisor.
Maintenance of relations:
· Maintain clear and open lines of communication with other technical staff of implementing partners.
· Supervise all irrigation related activities
· Supervise overall construction work of all infrastructure projects
· Supervise Irrigation Design Engineer/Hydrologists.
· Evaluate project outcome and goal
Job Location:Afghanistan, Takhar
BSc or Master Degree in civil engineering and relevant irrigation engineering profession is preferred.
· At least 8 years of experience in design and implementation of irrigation canals, retaining walls, siphons, culverts, passageways, small and medium size bridges and have experience of implementation of small and large-scale infrastructure projects.
The successful candidate will have the ability to work comfortably and effectively in the religious, security and political climate of Afghanistan. Security permitting, s/he must be willing to undertake travel frequently on rough terrain within the program area.
While sending your CV & Cover letter, please mention the vacancy number and position in the subject line, application received after the closing date and without subject line will not be given consideration. Please include three references from you previous and current supervisors in your CV and make sure that their official email addresses are mentioned in the reference information.
Only short listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for interview. Interested candidates should submit their Application To: Mercy Corps Office: Qala e Fatullah,Street # 05,House # 1010 Kabul, Afghanistan or Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org