|Date Posted:||Jul 20, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jul 26, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Education/ Training|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade BAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 7 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry of Education (MoE):
A relevant, high quality curriculum is essential to ensuring education systems equip learners with the attitudes, skills, knowledge, and values to participate and contribute meaningfully to their communal and economic contexts. Whilst acknowledging the enormous progress made since 2002 in expanding access to education to all groups within society, the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GoIRA) now considers the improvement of quality in its education system to be a key priority over the next five years. Underpinned by broader concerns about learner achievement, the Government also seeks to improve the preparedness of youth for employment and to better ensure its education systems foster the inclusiveness needed for continued national reintegration, in part by revisions and improvements to the education system. The third National Education Strategic Plan (NESP III), positions improved quality alongside continued expansion of access to education and sector-wide management reform as its guiding priorities through to 2021. A critical component of quality improvement is comprehensive, evidence-based curriculum reform.
With the draft Curriculum Framework and ALCF completed, UNESCO is currently working in partnership with MoE technical working groups to develop subject area syllabi for each of the following subject areas: Art, Information and Communication Technologies (ICT), and Health and Physical Education. These subject syllabi will be used to inform the teaching and learning of those subjects, as well as the development of textbooks and classroom resources, across Afghanistan. The subject area syllabi are in differing stages of progress and require further development and refinement prior to being endorsed by the MoE. They will also provide resource material for the textbook writers and will help them in writing.
MoE requires national subject specialist with deep subject matter and pedagogical expertise to assist the further development of subject area syllabi in one of the following subject area of Health and Physical Education.
The national subject specialist will be required to work with the MoE subject technical working groups and international subject specialists to develop, refine and complete syllabi in the designated subject areas in line with the Curriculum Framework and Life Competency Framework.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide daily technical assistance to the subject area technical working groups members and effectively coach the working group members in order to produce the subject-specific syllabi aligned with the Curriculum Framework of General Education and the Life Competency Framework, as required by the MoE;
- Provide continuous technical assistance to the quality improvement of the subject area syllabi technical working group members;
- Support international consultants engaged for the revision and development of syllabus throughout this assignment;
- Draw on best international subject syllabi to enhance the subject syllabi and assist the development of the subject-specific technical working group;
- Build capacity of MoE staff through collaborative engagement across all planned activities;
- Attend weekly meeting at the MoE on regular basis and brief the participants on the respective subject;
- Provide technical translation to subject area in both languages English to Dari and English to Pashto when required;
- Provide technical support in writing the students textbook and teacher guide for the respective subject;
- Provide resource material and formats for students textbook and teacher guide for the respective subject;
- Support the writers in writing the textbooks;
- In close collaboration with MoE, assist and ensure that all subject area-working group members are producing syllabi and learning materials as required by the MoE. Compile a monthly progress report and share with MoE;
- Perform any other duty as assigned by the supervisor.
- A university degree in the field of Physical Education (تربیت بدنی) or Health Education (صحت), preferably with teaching/teacher preparation, education and curriculum;
- At least five years of relevant work experience with Master and 7 years with Bachelor in teaching, teacher professional development, curriculum development in respective subject areas.
· Strong background and familiarity with curriculum development in one or more subject-specific areas;
· Proven leadership and facilitation experience in developing subject-specific curriculum;
· Strong sensitivity and adaptability (cultural, gender, religion, race and nationality);
· Ability to interact with a wide range of high–level stakeholders;
· Excellent strategic and analytical skills;
· High-level drafting and communication capacity in English, and with the national languages of Afghanistan (Dari and Pashto).