|Date Posted:||May 15, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 28, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Education/ Training|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade BAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 7 Years|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||1 month|
About Ministry of Education (MoE):
The Ministry of Education (MoE) is the largest employer among governmental bodies of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, employing 65% of the civil service.In order to reach its goals and objectives, the MoE recruits employees through open competition and merit-based selection; consequently enhancing civil service capacity and strengthening the current system of governance.
Afghanistan is one of the poorest countries in the world, ranking as the 18th least developed country on the Human Development Index. According to the National Risk and Vulnerability Assessment (ALCS, 2013-14), 39% of the Afghan population lives below the poverty line. Thirty years of conflict have resulted in the destruction of the country’s education system in terms of infrastructure, resources and curricula (NVRA, 2011-12). Following the Back-to-School Campaign in 2002, school enrolment has registered a dramatic increase. In the primary and secondary sub-sector, enrolment increased from around 900,000 children, in 2001, almost all boys, to over 8.6 million in 2013, of which 39% are girls.
Despite significant progress, access to education continues to be a challenge in Afghanistan. An estimated 3.5 million children of primary school age remain out of school, the majority of them being girls (75%). A combination of demand-side, supply-side, and systemic barriers and bottlenecks have been identified as reasons for children being out of school.
Overall, the purpose of the technical assistance is to support the MoE and especially H.E the Minister of Education in achieving the results set out in the National Education Strategic Plan 2017-2021 (NESP III).
Provinces to travel:
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills (essential).
· High level of integrity, strong result orientation, drive for excellence, and initiative.
· Strong organizational and effective time management skills (essential).
· Strong ICT skills, including the MS Office software package – Word, Excel, Outlook (essential).
· Excellent knowledge of financial and accounting software.
· Excellent writing and presentational skills (essential).
· Understanding of education development terminology (essential).
Duties & Responsibilities:
The key tasks of the sr. policy Advisor are as follows:
· Conduct general study on the existing policies with focus on policies regarding quality education,
· Develop/improve policies regarding delivering quality education system throughout Afghanistan.
· Develop support mechanism and guidelines on the implementation of quality education policies,
· Assessment of existing education delivery mechanism and provide guide line for improving the system and how to implement.
· Support the Study of the current organizational structure of Ministry of Education and redesign the organization structure in an effective way by defining the key roles within the Ministry.
· Develop effective mechanisms for the monitoring & evaluation aspects of new policies for the MoE.
· Work on the development of Policy documents as requested by H.E the minister,
- Review and further develop and integrate the monitoring and evaluation system to carry out evaluation studies to provide feedback for sustainable strategic planning
· Responsible for the development and implementation of relevant policies and stakeholder engagement during development and implementation of policies.
- Policy Analysis, programme development and implementation
- Lead the process of policy analysis and development and implementation on General Education priorities.
- Examine the existing education policy environment and explores linkages between different policies within MoE as well as with other line Ministries for improving the overall situation of education in the country.
- Work towards strengthening of implementation of policies and their monitoring at national and sub-national levels to ensure that education services reach the most marginalized and remote areas of the country.
- Facilitate planning for addressing identified bottlenecks in MoE support to ensure that basic education of quality is provided across the country.
- Facilitate the mechanism of prioritization of resources to address the inequities and reaching out the most marginalized groups with basic education and ensures universal coverage.
- Facilitate development of innovative approaches to real-time monitoring (including community based monitoring) by education authorities-
- Based on a capacity assessment, develop capacity building plan on the education policies and programmes, including guidance for implementation.
- In close collaboration with the Planning Department, review and strengthen guidance materials for reporting on the operationalization of policies at school level
- Report and presentation on the development of a comprehensive overview of the existing policies, their gaps and recommendations especially in the context of education
- A minimum of three policy revision or policy development workshops that result in draft policies.
- Capacity building plan for key and/or new policies.
- As feasible within the timeframe, developed or updated guidance materials (policy, procedure, or manual) for the education system
- Develop and review different policies as request by H.E minister
Performs any other task assigned by H.E. the Minister’s Office.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Bachelor’s degree in the business administration, public policy, public administration or any other related field
· At least 7 years of relevant working experience with a bachelor’s degree, 5 years of relevant experience with a Master’s degree (preferred).
· Experience in a government ministry, the education sector, and/or project management (proffered).
· Experience in general administration, finance, and accounting (proffered).
· Experience in Policy development.
Demonstrated experience in procurement, preparation of financial reports, and budget variance analysis
Interested Afghan candidates should submit their letter of interest (cover letter) along with the updated resumes to:
HR, MINISTRY OF EDUCATION Deh Afghanan, Gul Bahar Center, Ministry of Foreign Street, 7th floor first Corridor first office, Kabul, Afghanistan
no later than 28th May 2019, candidates who have access to the Internet can send their applications to the below email.
You are requested to send your letter of interest along with the updated resume. Please mention post title and vacancy number in the subject line of your email (NO APPLICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT SUBJECT LINE. THE APPLICATION MUST HAVE SUBJECT LINE INDICATING TITLE AND VACANCY NUMBER). However, do not email us heavy sized files such as your certificates, recommendation letters, etc. We kindly request all the applicants to mention their graduation date of the university and must clearly write the date of experiences in the CV. THOSE WHO DO NOT FULFILL THE APPLYING REQUIREMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR SHORTLIST. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted with and called for the test and interview. The test & interview dates, time and place will be determined and communicated with the shortlisted candidates only sooner after the deadline of the vacancy announcement.
Ministry of Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
MoE does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, handicap, religion, ethnic origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Candidates with disabilities and qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.