|Date Posted:||Aug 7, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Sep 22, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
Afghanaid is a British-registered international NGO, which has worked in Afghanistan for over 30 years. We assist community-driven processes that address the rights and fundamental needs of people in some of the most remote areas of Afghanistan, providing basic services, supporting development of rural livelihoods and responding to humanitarian emergencies. We are headquartered in Kabul, and operate 20 provincial and district offices across Badakhshan (north-eastern region), Samangan (northern region) and Ghor (western region), as well as a Marketing and Fundraising office in London. We employ around 160 personnel, 97% of whom are Afghans.
Planning and implementation of health-related project interventions with a special focus on family health and reproductive rights; designing and leading hygiene, nutrition, family planning and reproductive health trainings; providing technical expertise, guidance and support to the Project Manager, Project Coordinators, project staff, and project beneficiaries
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Planning, developing, and supervising the implementation of an appropriate public health intervention for the project’s primary beneficiaries (10,500 poor and vulnerable women), for male and elder women mobilisers, and for teachers of classes 9-12. This consists of the following specific duties:
o Collecting and designing training curricula for all health-related project trainings
o Planning, developing, and supervising hygiene, nutrition, family planning and reproductive health trainings
o Developing associated teaching materials for teachers of classes 9-12
· Ensuring that the project health component is implemented in accordance with Afghanaid standards, policies, and procedures and that commitments to the donor, communities and other stakeholders are fulfilled in a professional and timely manner.
· Coordinating and communicating with other team members and other Afghanaid projects and continuous liaison with provincial stakeholders regarding health-related project progress or other related issues, in coordination with the Project Coordinators.
· Representing Afghanaid at external forums and promote its work among line departments and NGOs working in the respective province, as well as in Kabul.
Planning and management, support to Project Manager, budgeting, M&E support
· Advise and assist the Project Manager and Project Coordinator in designing, developing and monitoring the health component of the project.
· Supervision of the implementation the health component of the project ensuring that project targets and contractual obligations are being met and the health component of the project is implemented to the highest standard possible.
· Ensure that the implemented activities are technically sound, cost-effective, and relevant to the target beneficiaries needs.
· Contribute to the preparation of quarterly and annual project work plans and budgets and assist the Project Manager and Project Coordinators in budget tracking and analysis as necessary.
· Keep appropriate records for collecting the evidence of project implementation, for instance, by collecting attendance sheets, distribution lists, training needs assessment records, pre-, post-tests, etc.
· Support the M&E Officer in collecting case studies, success stories, and best practices.
· Produce monthly, quarterly, annual and any other relevant reports as required by the Project Manager
Team capacity building, supervision, coaching
· Supervise and provide technical support to the training providers in both provinces.
· Supervise the Public Health Workers in a way they can effectively execute their duties and document their experiences.
· Work closely with the project team to foster communication, collaboration and harmony within the team and promote individual and collective commitment to implementation quality of the project’s health component.
Design of training material and training of project beneficiaries
· Conduct training needs assessments of project beneficiaries and supervise the designing and organizing of training programs to address the identified training needs, prepare training assessment reports.
· Create training curricula for hygiene, nutrition, family planning, reproductive rights, and other trainings based on identified requirements.
· Lead the organisation of a ToT for the training providers.
· Design training materials on the training topics for teacher’s classes 9-12 and oversee their distribution.
Coordination with stakeholders
· Create partnerships with external stakeholders that ensure the sustainability of the health-related activities.
· Liaise with other projects/programs operating in the health sector in the target districts to identify and taking account of development activities currently being undertaken or being developed in these sectors by the other NGOs/departments.
· Ensure a good working relationship with relevant government departments and administration, particularly with the local Departments of Public Health.
· Represent Afghanaid at external forums in the provinces and in Kabul.
· Facilitate visits of any internal or external stakeholders to monitor the project implementation in close coordination with the relevant provincial team.
Apart from this, the candidate is expected to perform any other duties as required.
University Degree or diploma in public health or a related field
Minimum three years of experience in a similar capacity
Proven experience in assessing training needs and building the capacity of a mixture of literate and illiterate project participants
Experience with and strong technical knowledge of public, reproductive health and reproductive rights
Professional Skills and Competencies
· Dependable professional with strong organisational and coordination skills, initiative, judgment and adaptability with significant levels of autonomy
· Demonstrated ability to effectively plan, setting priorities and meeting tight deadlines; results-oriented approach to delivering work priorities
· Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and professional development; ability to convert lessons learnt and experiences gained from delivering trainings in the field to improving the training approach;
· Strong communication, analytical and report writing skills with fluency in spoken and written Dari and English
· Willingness, enthusiasm and experience in working with vulnerable women with focus on their economic and social empowerment.
Values and attitude
· Demonstrated interpersonal skills in working with a multi-disciplinary team
· A clear and firm commitment to human rights, equality, role and empowerment of women, minorities and persons with disabilities.
· Understanding and knowledge of Islamic perspective on women’s rights and strong understanding of the local context
· Responsible, committed and honest in his/her work
· Detail-oriented person
· Resilience to live, travel and work in isolated and possibly insecure locations.