|Date Posted:||Jul 9, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Jul 23, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Law,Economic Growth|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||2 - 3 Years|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
About Joint Monitoring and Evaluation Committee(MEC):
MEC (www.mec.af) was created after the need for independent monitoring and evaluation of anti-corruption efforts was identified at a series of international conferences. MEC is wholly independent of the Government of Afghanistan, and receives financial support from the international community. This independence ensures that MEC is capable of carrying out its mandate in a transparent manner without undue influence. The governing Committee, which is made up of three Afghan and three international anti-corruption experts, meets in Afghanistan quarterly, normally resulting in the setting of recommendations and benchmarks. MEC issues regular reports every three months, with interim reports being issued on an ad hoc basis.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Research Officer will be to support the Vulnerability to Corruption Assessment (VCA) Team Lead in conducting vulnerability to corruption assessments by conducting desk studies to map business processes in chosen sectors or institutions. This is based on collecting and analyzing qualitative data through interviews, focus group discussions, and other methodologies.
The secondary responsibility of the VCA Officer is to provide research support to the various teams of the MEC Secretariat, including the collection of primary evidence and data through site visits, as required.
He/she supports the Research Unit by conducting primary and secondary research through desk studies and collecting qualitative and quantitative data through interviews, Focus Group Discussions, and Direct Observations, and coordinates relevant research tasks with the team, the Technical Director, the Legal Advisor, the Senior Policy Advisor and the Executive Director.
Requires travel to provinces:
· Excellent presentation and report writing skill.
· Proficient in MS Office, MS Project, and internet applications.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate.
· Experience of similar donor funded projects is preferred.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supporting vulnerability to corruption assessments
- Support the Technical Director & VCA Team Lead in the conduct of vulnerability to corruption assessments as directed. Support will specifically include legal and regulatory research to identify formal frameworks for the functional processes being assessed, particularly public procurement.
- Support the conduct of interviews, Focus Group Discussions, and Direct Observations, as well the collection of relevant qualitative and quantitative data through surveys and/or questionnaires.
- Providing research support to MEC Secretariat Teams
- Support MEC Secretariat teams by identifying documents and evidentiary sources for policy issues under consideration.
- Conducting web based and documentary research on issues identified by MEC Secretariat teams.
- The officer will be responsible to provide support to MEC secretariat in public procurement.
- General research responsibilities
- Develop research tools such as questionnaires, interview guides, and Focus Group Discussion tools.
- Conduct field research and data collection by conducting interviews, facilitating Focus Group Discussions, and performing Direct Observations on a variety of issues.
- Ensure the quality of interview transcripts and field notes are up to standard and to ensure that they meet the research goals.
- Review research methodologies in identified reports to assess their appropriateness, effectiveness, and validity of findings.
- Provide training in research methodology and methods to staff as required.
- Maintain relationships with various research bodies and think tanks, particularly AREU, to stay current on the release of studies that may be relevant to MEC and to facilitate the collection and analyses of data when required.
- The officer will support Research Unit by conducting legal and regulatory research and report writing in Dari and English.
- The officer may be required to edit and re-draft Dari reports done by other team members, as well as support quality checks on team reports, Briefings, or other documents, or on their translations.
- The officer is required to deliver high-quality documents, often under tight deadlines, and may require some overtime / after-hours work.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Technical Director, VCA Team Leader or MEC Executive Director;
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
· Minimum bachelor’s degree in law, Economics, or any other relevant field.
· Minimum 2 - 3 years of professional experience in Public Procurement or related field.
· Previous experience with research methodologies is preferred.
· Excellent Dari, Pashto & English language skill is required.