|Date Posted:||May 9, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 22, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade BAF|
|Years of Experience:||7 Years|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
About MAIL (CDRRP, CBARD & CCAP):
The National Environmental Protection Agency (NEPA) vision is to improve the quality of life of the people of Afghanistan through conservation, protection and improvement of the country’s environment. NEPA also aims to secure a clean, healthy environment, attaining sustainable economic and social development while protecting natural resources, as well as ensuring effective management of the country’s environment through participation of all stakeholders.
The NEPA prioritizes implementation and oversight of Environmental Law, and develops regulations on projects to ensure sustainable development. In addition, NEPA prioritizes wildlife conservation, cultural and natural resources, national heritage, rangelands and pasture protection at the national level. Public awareness on environmental issues, impact on climate change, greenhouse gases mitigation and adaptation approaches are all NEPA’s priorities.
Climate – induced Disaster Risk Reduction Project (CDRRP): CDRRP improves the preparedness and resilience of selected Afghan communities to climate-induced disaster risks. Yhe project is implemented in Jawzjan and Nangarhar provinces. It is designed to work with local community, including women and other marginal groups – to build and improve their adaptation capacity to the face of climate change impacts, through capacity development, establishment of Early Warming Systems, provision of diversified livelihood opportunities and institutional capacity building of government agencies at national and sub-national levels.
The Technical Senior Advisor - Climate Change will be the CDRRP project employee. He/she will report directly to the Project Manager and work in close collaboration with the Deputy Director General (DDG), and Climate Change Division of NEPA.
The Senior Technical Adviser will be based in Kabul NEPA main office and will assist NEPA in strengthening institutional capacity of three units within the Climate Change division related to climate change mitigation, adaptation planning, and programing via formal and on-the-job training. The Technical Advisor will assist NEPA in the following tasks, including but not limited to:
Provinces to travel:
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Assist in capacity development in terms of climate change mitigation, adaptation planning and programming;
2. Assist and provide on-the-job training to civil servants in the Climate Change division in conducting climate change research;
3. Support and assist developing climate change related policies, procedures, and technical reports;
4. Enhance technical capacity in accessing government and global climate change funds;
5. Support and assist teams via on-the-job training regarding public awareness and outreach programs on climate change;
6. Assist and provide on-the-job training in project design, proposal writing, M&E, quality control and assurance skills to design effective climate change adaptation projects;
7. Support and assist technical capacity to analyze greenhouse gas inventory;
8. Assist NEPA in conducting vulnerability survey and assessment to generate information on vulnerabilities of the community-based levels to the impacts of climate change;
9. Develop coordination mechanism to strengthen linkage and better synergy between Climate Change Division and its key stakeholders;
10. Coach and mentor civil servants on the development and implementation of strategic plans, programs and work plans, process improvement, regulatory documents, and organization realignment;
11. Write and provide technical support for National-level climate change related reports to international conferences; and
12. Other tasks and assignments as assigned by the supervisor.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
1. The candidate must have bachelor degree with 7 years of experience or master’s degree with 5 years of experience in environmental sciences, natural resources management, Energy or any other relevant field;
2. A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in leading and providing technical support, developing policies and procedures, and management oversight of large and complex agricultural development projects;
3. Proven experience in the field of capacity building and in training civil servants;
4. Fluency in English (speaking, reading, and writing). Ability to communicate in both Dari and Pashto is required;
5. Proven experience in preparing quantitative and qualitative reports;
6. Proficient in use of all MS Office applications.