|Date Posted:||Dec 2, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Dec 13, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 - 5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Salam Afghanistan Media Organization (SAMO) :
Salam Afghanistan Media Organization (SAMO) is the parent organization to Salam Watandar (SW) Radio Kabul (98.9FM), Salam Watandar Radio Network, SAMO Research, Evaluations and Learning (REL) center, SW News Agency (www.swn.af), Professional Media and Communications Training Hub, and SAMO Professional Technical Workshop on Media and ICTs. Established in 2003, SAMO has been one of the nation’s leading media organizations operating in all provinces of Afghanistan through more than 100 partner stations reaching over 22 million people across the country. The organization has undertaken various multi-media outreach, awareness, and advocacy collaborative partnerships to support the international partners of Afghanistan including UN agencies, international organizations, embassies, private sector and government media needs.
SAMO is a multi-media platform that reaches out to Afghans, nationwide. The organization has a multi-pronged approach – i.e. radio, TV, print, and social media – to generate debates around issues of importance to the people of Afghanistan and stir debates/engagement around them so as to ensure citizens remain informed and make informed decisions on issues and matters which affect them.
The organization aspires to a working environment that values honesty, integrity, fairness, equality (gender included) respect, creativity, and diligence.
Organizational Vision - The SAMO we are building
SAMO will be a funding-diversified, sustainable and independent multi-media platform. Its governance and leadership will function according to international standards of good practice. National and international partners will consider SAMO as a model of institutional and organizational excellence.
Afghans are active citizens, not passive subjects:
· Political and community leaders will listen to and take account of the voice of ordinary people.
· Young people will be better informed, less manipulated by those who seek to exploit them, and increasingly perceive themselves as having the right to express their aspirations.
· Women's rights are promoted to empower and engage them in all spheres of life.
· Farmers will have increased access to information about how to be more successful and profitable.
· Business people will understand their social responsibilities.
SAMO is looking for a sports presenter/journalist who is interested in sports and has the interest and ability to gather related information, write, present and sports news. Since sporting events unfold very fast, the presenter/journalist has the ability to report quickly. Therefore, not only must he/she have the knowledge as to what is going on in the sports world, with more emphasis on what is happening in Afghanistan (i.e. cricket, football, martial arts, with a keen interest gender mainstreaming).
Description of Duties:
Overall Journalists are responsible for the audio content of broadcasts via radio, the internet and media platforms. They are involved in the entire process, from generating ideas to managing the audience response after a program. Journalists manage and work with broadcasting assistants, presenters and DJs, engineers and IT staff. They may also be responsible for the business and commercial management of a program.
Journalists also may need to work as reporter whenever it is necessary. Wherever they work, they are part of a digital revolution which is having a profound impact on the way in which radio is produced and accessed.
He/she has an excellent presentation skills, i.e. has the ability to engage audience both through presenting news and/or live shows when needed. Has the ability to establish rapport quickly and effectively with new people/contacts; Maintains and strengthen existing relationships with stakeholders and guests; Works harmoniously with teams in other departments and has the ability to respect confidentiality; Understands demands of the job and is able to produce under stress; Is an easy going individual and can get along with his/her colleagues; Can respect the rules and regulations of the organization regardless of personal beliefs; is proactive and responsible, and takes initiative without having to be instructed at all times At least 3 years of experience with media, particularly radio;
He/she has an athletic mindset; has a keen interest in all sports equally and is enthusiastic about learning more; knows that sports are an excellent pretext for the Afghan nation to come together to celebrate, so knows the importance of playing a key role in the media organization; is enthusiastic, curious, dependable and interesting to listen to upon presenting;
Duties & Responsibilities:
Specific responsibilities vary depending on the program and station, and Journalists may sometimes also take on the roles of presenters or reporters and producer, but typical tasks sport Journalists include:
1. Reporting on sporting news and activities taking place both nationally and internationally;
2. Researching and staying up-to-date on all major sports activities, both nationally and internationally;
3. Developing content for both radio and the website and sourcing, properly,
4. Personally attend major sporting events within Afghanistan and observe reporting events;
5. Interview various sports-related personalities, i.e. coaches, athletes, managers, etc.
6. Liaise with the Programs Department, the Studio Department, the Research Department and the IT/RNC Department;
7. Selecting music and jingles appropriate for programs to the audience;
8. Establishing rapport with guests, inviting them to the programs, interviewing them on matters pertinent to various sports programs, and editing when required;
9. Presenting programs or managing presenters for both pre-recorded and recorded output;
10. Well awareness on the media laws, particularly sports-related, in Afghanistan and ensuring to operate within their boundary;
11. Contributing to and making use of an archive of audio resources which can be re-used;
12. Responding to audience feedback by involving other departments where necessary;
13. Producing and making use of user-generated content;
Using technology such as Cool Edit Pro, Pro Tools and Adobe Audition, for editing and production purposes;
14. Edit recorded interviews and extract excerpts on themes identified above to produce final thematic programs;
15. Continuously monitor and evaluate the quality of programming to ensure compliance with the best practices
16. Responsible to get the updated news/information from reliable sources on all sports equally;
17. Ensure accuracy of news/information from reliable sources and accept responsibility for disseminating news/information
18. Write news, feature stories and other assignment in local languages (Dari or Pashto) to meet deadlines.
19. Attend daily meetings and staff meetings to keep abreast of the latest developments of other colleagues
Perform other related duties as required;
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
University Degree in Journalism, Mass Communication, or equivalent amount of education + work experience;
Familiar with programs/news editing software
Fluency in Pashto, Dari and English