|Date Posted:||May 15, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 28, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Civil Engineering|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About MAIL (CDRRP, CBARD & CCAP):
Agriculture is the foundational basis of Afghan society. Approximately 80% of the population is engaged in agriculture directly or in secondary or tertiary activities. It is in this sector that the future of Afghanistan’s wealth and potential for capital accumulation resides. While some of Afghanistan’s former agricultural infrastructure have been restored, considerably more, remains to be done. Lack of agriculture technology, infrastructure, and difficulty in accessing markets by farmers still remain as challenges in the sector. This is in spite of the enormous potential of agriculture as the sector that can drive economic growth.
These challenges and dependence of rural households on low-value crops on scarce arable land and their vulnerability to increasingly severe droughts and floods due to climate change adversely contribute to viability of opium poppy cultivation as an easily marketable and drought-resistant option. Having said this, it also presents an opportunity as farmers, producers, and processors and traders are demanding increased support from the government, realizing the potential of agriculture as a viable economic option if provided with the requisite technologies and infrastructure.
The Community Based Agriculture and Rural Development (CBARD) project funded by the US Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement (INL) aims at supporting improved household income reducing dependency on illicit cultivation / production in 170 selected communities in Nangarhar, Farah and Badghis provinces. The project objective is to prove the viability of high-value agricultural-based interventions in improving local economies of Nangarhar, Badghis and Farah as a sustainable alternative to illicit crop cultivation. The project has two outputs; (i) Local production of, and market for, high-value crops improved; (ii) Community-based agro-business infrastructure are built, developed, and/or strengthened. The project will be implemented by MAIL. The Programme supported by UNDP, provides a framework for increased cohesion of policies, strategies, and results of the ongoing and future joint interventions between MAIL and UNDP.
Under the direct supervision of the National Project Manager and senior civil engineer, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Requires travel to provinces:
Duties & Responsibilities:
Develop Plans for Sub-projects identification, assessment and prioritization for CBARDs interventions including irrigation infrastructures and Agriculture Civil Faculties,
· Report on the activities and inputs made through field engineering team in the respected provinces based on CBARD Logical frame work,
· Be responsible for all aspects of the CBARD’s Engineering interventions within the respected Province, both technical and non-technical.
· Ensure sub-project implementation is in adherence to relevant guidelines, procedures and policies,
· Coordinate the development of individual irrigation infrastructures and Agriculture Civil Facilities; and develop and maintain an up-to-date consolidated work plan for the respected province;
· Make frequent monitoring visits to construction project sites located in all districts in respective province to make sure the projects are completed within contract duration, defined quality and approved budget.
· Ensure the implementation of a quality assurance plan throughout the Province;
· Organize and conduct Quality Audits of ongoing contracts within the respected province
· Directly responsible for setting out, levelling as well as quality, quantity and cost control of the project and proper administration of contract at site.
· Arrange kick-off and follow-up meeting with contractors and Review project implementation schedule for each contract against contract agreements and initiate the contract extension process if required.
· Monitor and coordinate the activities of Field Engineer and Design Engineer to facilitate the achievement of sub-projects. This includes reviewing, verifying and analyzing work plans, progress reports and other relevant documents.
· Perform QA/QC Checks, in accordance with standard procedures, method statements, quality plans, inspection and test plan to make sure that all materials used and work performed by the contractor works complies with agreed design drawing and technical specifications. In addition to this, he is responsible to observe safety and environmental compliance.
· Provide data in respect of variation orders and site instructions as well as identify problems and constraints if any, and provide technical advice to implementing agency for taking corrective actions in the field.
· Prepare detailed monitoring and evaluation reports which identify strengths and weaknesses of work carried out by contractors. Submit his/her report to Senior Civil Engineer for further action.
· Responsible for preparation, certifying and endorsement of installment bills based on measurement at site of the actual work performed by the contractor and ensure that the invoices are processed smoothly.
· Manage specified tasks independently, particularly in providing all necessary information of the project to the construction team on time.
· Resolve technical problems at site and the certification of construction work at site.
· Assist in record keeping and generating progress reports.
· Prepare progress and financial reports and provides regular reports and presentations to relevant supervisor;
· Promote exchanging ideas, lessons learned between the four provinces with respect to technical, social and considerations;
Perform any other duties as required by the supervisor
Job Location:Afghanistan, Nangarhar
The candidate must have a Bachelor Degree with 5 years experience in Civil engineering from a recognized university.
The interested candidates should submit their resumes along with a cover letter to Human Resource Department of CBARD, Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions
• Subject line must be Sr. Field Engineer (CBARD-04) otherwise application will NOT be considered
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
Note: The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.