|Date Posted:||Dec 25, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Jan 7, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||Unspecified|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||7 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About MAIL (CDRRP, CBARD & CCAP):
Agriculture is the foundational basis of Afghan society. Approximately 80% of the population is engaged in agriculture directly or in secondary or tertiary activities. It is in this sector that the future of Afghanistan’s wealth and potential for capital accumulation resides. While some of Afghanistan’s former agricultural infrastructure have been restored, considerably more, remains to be done. Lack of agriculture technology, infrastructure, and difficulty in accessing markets by farmers still remain as challenges in the sector. This is in spite of the enormous potential of agriculture as the sector that can drive economic growth.
These challenges and dependence of rural households on low-value crops on scarce arable land and their vulnerability to increasingly severe droughts and floods due to climate change adversely contribute to viability of opium poppy cultivation as an easily marketable and drought-resistant option. Having said this, it also presents an opportunity as farmers, producers, and processors and traders are demanding increased support from the government, realizing the potential of agriculture as a viable economic option if provided with the requisite technologies and infrastructure.
The Community Based Agriculture and Rural Development (CBARD) project funded by the US Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement (INL) aims at supporting improved household income reducing dependency on illicit cultivation / production in 170 selected communities in Nangarhar, Farah and Badghis provinces. The project objective is to prove the viability of high-value agricultural-based interventions in improving local economies of Nangarhar, Badghis and Farah as a sustainable alternative to illicit crop cultivation. The project has two outputs; (i) Local production of, and market for, high-value crops improved; (ii) Community-based agro-business infrastructure are built, developed, and/or strengthened. The project will be implemented by MAIL. The Programme supported by UNDP, provides a framework for increased cohesion of policies, strategies, and results of the ongoing and future joint interventions between MAIL and UNDP.
The Senior Internal Audit Specialist will report to the operation unit head and Project Manager and take the day to day responsibility for related activities of the project internal audit section. He/S will carry out his/her duties and responsibilities under the direct supervision of the Project Manager
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducting day to day and a periodic review of the control environment, system and procedures with suggestions on improvement;
- Verifying and establishing a system for periodic verification of the project assets;
- Reviewing of the adequacy, security and effectiveness of the financial management system
- Ascertaining the extent of compliance with established policies, plans, and procedures of GOA including those agreed under the grant agreement with UNDP.
- Reviewing and checking the quality & completeness of working papers.
- Measuring and checking of Financial, Procurement, Logistics and program documents according to approved annual plan.
- Ascertaining the extent to which assets are accounted for and safeguarded from losses, goods and services have been procured in accordance with the credit/grant agreements and GOA, procurement guidelines, wherever applicable.
- Verifying that grant funds, both GOA and Donors have been provided and used in accordance with the relevant financing agreements and effectively used only for the purposes for which they were provided;
- Ascertaining the availability of supporting documents, record and accounts in respect of the program;
- Checking the financial reports and records are accurate and reliable.
- Verifying the financial transactions.
- Coordinating with the external auditors to ensure timely initiation, well planned execution and completion of external audits as per the standard time.
- Gain an understanding of risk areas, their impacts and provide recommendations for overcoming the risk factors;
- Following up on the implementation of audit observations and provides recommendations.
- Review payment systems like authorization of budget holder, procurement procedures and compliance of payments
- Planning and executing auditing in accordance with accepted standards and procedures of the government of Afghanistan and the Donor.
- Reporting field audit findings and making recommendations for correcting unsatisfactory conditions and improving operations
- Preparing annual plan of Internal Audits and conducting audit accordingly.
- Managing of the identification and evaluation of risks affecting the operations of the project.
- Perform annual internal audit of the project/CBARD along with the continuous auditing and share the audit reports with the Project Manager/the Donor/Minister’s office
- Perform any other duties when and as required
Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in the relevant field with having at least 5 years of full-time experience in auditing and 7 years with having bachelor degree, audit of the government/ UN/World Bank/UASID funded projects and or working in the big four audit firms will be preferred
- Extensive knowledge of and skill in applying internal auditing and accounting principles and practices
- Knowledge of the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing
- Skill in collecting and analyzing complex data, evaluating information and systems and drawing logical conclusions
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, staff and external contacts and to work effectively in a professional team environment
- Excellent reporting skills, in English and Local Languages
- Expertise in word processing, spreadsheets and other business software to prepare reports, memos, summaries and analysis