|Date Posted:||May 15, 2019|
|Reference:||CDRRP - 05|
|Closing Date:||May 28, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||7 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About MAIL (CDRRP, CBARD & CCAP):
Agriculture is the foundational basis of Afghan society. Approximately 80% of the population is engaged in agriculture directly or in secondary or tertiary activities. It is in this sector that the future of Afghanistan’s wealth and potential for capital accumulation resides. While some of Afghanistan’s former agricultural infrastructure have been restored, considerably more, remains to be done. Lack of agriculture technology, infrastructure, and difficulty in accessing markets by farmers still remain as challenges in the sector. This is in spite of the enormous potential of agriculture as the sector that can drive economic growth.
These challenges and dependence of rural households on low-value crops on scarce arable land and their vulnerability to increasingly severe droughts and floods due to climate change adversely contribute to viability of opium poppy cultivation as an easily marketable and drought-resistant option. Having said this, it also presents an opportunity as farmers, producers, and processors and traders are demanding increased support from the government, realizing the potential of agriculture as a viable economic option if provided with the requisite technologies and infrastructure.
The Community Based Agriculture and Rural Development (CBARD) project funded by the US Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement (INL) aims at supporting improved household income reducing dependency on illicit cultivation / production in 170 selected communities in Nangarhar, Farah and Badghis provinces. The project objective is to prove the viability of high-value agricultural-based interventions in improving local economies of Nangarhar, Badghis and Farah as a sustainable alternative to illicit crop cultivation. The project has two outputs; (i) Local production of, and market for, high-value crops improved; (ii) Community-based agro-business infrastructure are built, developed, and/or strengthened. The project will be implemented by MAIL. The Programme supported by UNDP, provides a framework for increased cohesion of policies, strategies, and results of the ongoing and future joint interventions between MAIL and UNDP.
Senior Technical specialist (MIS/GIS specialist) will report and work under the direct supervision of the Project Managers. He/she will be fully responsible for the following specific duties
Provinces to travel:
Good knowledge of Database, MIS and GIS software specially MS SQL Server, MS Windows Server, MS Access, ERP and CRM software.
• Demonstrated ability to create and/or manage a large, secure database with multiple parties providing information into that database using diverse means of data input.
• Familiarity with overall information and data sources related to Databases and GIS.
• Strong project management skills.
• Organized and detail oriented, with an ability to multi-tasking
• Ability to work independently, with minimum supervision, within the context of larger teams
• Fluency in Pashto, Dari and English is required for the post.
• Excellent English written skills
Duties & Responsibilities:
Studies and internalizes the CBARD/CCAP/CDRRP Log Frames, MAIL strategy and the data needs for each indicator, and establishes necessary data structures by result indicators. Planning, implementation and running of MIS system.
• Prepares and conceptualizes the Program Information Management System database and develop the data entry interfaces for the different project components
• Supervise and monitor the data collection process and ensures dynamic linkages between GIS data and Project Database
• Setting up central and provincial MIS system, follows-up MIS system and provides technical backstopping, and regularly reconciles the data stored in the field with that in the central MIS database.
• Generates regular database reports and as and when CBARD/CCAP/CDRRP/MAIL/UNDP requests, and prepares database documentation updates at regular intervals.
• Supplies progress data and prepares progress reports on Program indicators. Provide date to communication team preparing reports and case studies.
• Coordinate with procurement, technical and M&E staff to collect necessary data and ensure its entry into MIS.
• Creates, upgrades and manages the databases and ensures an accurate link between the GIS and the Database data, cross checks data collected in the field
• Works with the Project Departments and Reporting/Communication Department to create data entry interfaces for all program activities
• Works closely with project Manager and other departments to design reports that use the data in the database in order to facilitate the effective reporting on the products and activities
• Works according to the priorities set by the Project Manager, Area Coordinators, as according to need
• Creates tests and enhances GIS and MIS operations
• Develops and administers web based applications
• Provides technical support for the implementation and operation of GIS/MIS projects
• Evaluates user requirements for GIS/MIS; identifies and implements applications
• Conducts or coordinates end-user training
• Develops and administers the permitting address and zoning databases
• Prepares GIS/MIS databases, maps, database reports and specialized queries in support of various projects
• Performs GIS/MIS analysis, modeling and reporting to support decision making
• Generates, maintains and disseminates GIS/MIS layers
• Produces complex maps for user departments
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Master’s degree in Computer sciences or equal , with 5 year relevant experience or Bachelor degree with 7 years relevant experience.
• At least three (3) years of experience in international development with specialized knowledge in information management, database design, and IT systems
The interested candidates should submit their resumes along with a cover letter to Human Resource Directorate of CBARD, CDRRP & CCAP Projects, Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) as following Conditions
• Subject line must be the position name and vacancy number otherwise application will NOT be considered
• No resume will be taken under consideration without having a cover letter, the position title vacancy number in the subject line of the email
• Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered
Note: The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) is an equal opportunity employer which encourages male and female candidates to apply for vacant positions.
Only short-listed candidates whose applications respond to the above criteria will be contacted.