|Date Posted:||Dec 23, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Jan 7, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||2 - 4 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||1 month|
About American University of Afghanistan:
The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We opened our doors in 2005 and currently offer four undergraduate academic majors and an MBA program. We follow a strict non-discriminatory policy and applicants from all ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are a young and growing dynamic university with a student population of nearly 1,100 and we hope to reach 1,250 students by the spring 2020 academic semester. We have expanded operations to the 75-acre international campus across the street from our original campus. Construction is ongoing for additional classroom and lab buildings to help meet the growing needs of our student population.
The Student Mentoring Coordinator matches new students (mentees) with a mentor who is a current student willing to share knowledge and experience. In general, Student Mentoring Coordinator is responsible to guide students with their academic journey and monitor their progress to ensure a successful completion of an undergraduate program. The student mentoring coordinator also assures awareness of students’ extra-curricular activities and academic achievement.
· Resourceful, outgoing, motivated, energetic, self-starting;
· Excellent English writing, speaking, and presentation skills;
· Excellent interpersonal skills;
· Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· Dedicated to the implementation of the university’s mission and vision
· Ability and knowledge in maintaining a high degree of professionalism.
Ability to operate a personal computer including Microsoft Office programs.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Develop and maintain a detailed implementation plan for the US Embassy Students Mentoring Program (SMP)
· Coordinate the SMP’s operations
· Design and organize social events and educational workshops based on the needs of the recipients of the scholarship awards (at least four events/workshops each semester)
· Facilitate students’ enhancing learning and engage them within the university community and foster student success.
· Lead the process of recruiting mentors for the SMP, and orient the mentors to the general objectives of the SMP
· Supervise the mentor’s and evaluate their performance by actively participating in the mentoring program and holding weekly sessions.
· Hold regular meetings with the mentors and students’ advisor to discuss the challenges that the mentees face.
· Develop detailed and timely program reports for US Embassy scholarship students
· Collect data and prepare detailed reports about scholars’ academic and extra-curricular activities on monthly basis.
· Update Scholars’ Trackers for each grant to monitor academic progress of scholars
· Develop a retention plan for scholars across all grants, evaluate grant provisions and retention strategies to ensure students’ progress to degree completion and grant success.
· Identify students who are struggling academically and socially and mentor them towards appropriate solutions.
· Assure adherence to scholarship policies.
· Prepare Academic Probation Lists
· Prepare enrollment lists and list of students on “leave” each semester.
· Assess eligibility of students for dormitory and report on scholars residing in dorms.
· Work closely with the Program Manager and AUAF’s alumni office to organize networking events for the US Embassy alumni.
· Create and Maintain a professional database of scholars including current and alumni
· Design and conduct Surveys for every grant yearly and as per the US Embassy requirement
· Perform additional tasks assigned by the Senior Program Manager
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
· Bachelor’s degree required (Master’s degree in an appropriate field preferred);
· Minimum four years of experience with progressively greater responsibilities and accomplishments in program coordination;
· Experience in university and/or non-profit venues with individual, corporate, and government support;
· Experience working with a university in this capacity is an asset;