|Date Posted:||Jun 30, 2022|
|Closing Date:||Jul 20, 2022|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||8|
|Functional Area:||Civil Engineering,Agriculture Engeenring,Construction Management,Quality Control (QC)|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 - 7 Years|
|Contract Duration:||6 month(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations:
FAO Afghanistan is investing, across all 34 provinces, in resilience reinforcing actions that focus on protecting agriculture livelihoods and local ecosystems, boosting local production of nutritious foods and cash-incomes, and safeguarding critical agriculture sectoral development gains achieved over the past couple of decades through revitalizing rural markets and economy. In 2022-2023, FAO will, under the life-saving assistance Outcome (1) of the UN Transitional Engagement Framework (TEF), focus on the following four priority actions: (i) Safeguarding Wheat Seed Security, (ii) Enhancing Local Production of Nutritious Food, (iii) Livestock Protection and Dairy Sector Support, and (iv) Restoring Irrigation Structures to Boost Cash Incomes. Additionally, FAO will contribute towards resilience building activities under Outcome 2 of the TEF.
There are a total of eight (8) positions, one position in each duty station: Bamyan, Gardez, Herat, Jalalabad, Kabul, Kandahar, Kunduz, and Mazar-e-Sharif.
The Survey & Design Specialist will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative, the direct and technical supervision of the Head of Water Resource and Irrigation Team, and the Team leader/Regional Senior Survey and Design Specialist and in close collaboration with the Regional Coordinator.
The Survey & Design Specialist will provide relevant technical assistance for efficient implementation of the Water and Resilience Services within their Regional Office.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Tasks and responsibilities
- Assist the Head of Water and Irrigation Team, International Chief Technical Advisor and Team Leader/Senior Survey and Design Specialist in implementing water resource and irrigation activities in the region of their assignment.
- Help prepare technical proposal of the schemes under irrigation rehabilitation works and river bank protection works after conducting the technical survey and design and cost estimates for the submission to the Team Leader regional office for review.
- Support the Regional Team Leader to monitor the work progress of the contractor or water user groups.
- Coordinate with the implementing partners (IPs) to validate the quantification of work for cleaning of drainage canal system, soil and water conservation measures, and improving watershed management and minor repairs to upper catchment of Karez.
- Contribute towards the monitoring of the beneficiary selection for cash for work (CfW) and the work progress in the field.
- Support the Regional Team Leader to coordinate with the other agencies and institutions at the regional level for smooth implementation of the water resource and irrigation-related activities.
- Coordinate with the IPs to validate the quantification of work for cleaning of drainage canal system, soil and water conservation measures/ rain and flood water harvesting, and improving watershed management to recharge groundwater and minor repairs of Karez.
- Support the Regional Team Leader to liaise with the main office (in Kabul) for timely availability of all inputs for implementation of the rehabilitation works carried out by the construction companies and the ones carried out by the implementing partners.
- Conduct training courses and on-the-job training of staff, and water user groups.
- Support the Regional Team Leader to report periodically on the progress of work in the regional Offices, and signal in advance problems that may hamper such progress and help solve them;
- Perform any other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced degree (Masters) or University degree (Bachelor) in Civil Engineering, Water Resources engineering, Irrigation engineering or agricultural engineering or other related areas;
- For advanced degree a minimum of seven (5) years of professional experience in water resource and irrigation engineering;
- For university degree minimum of ten (7) years professional experience in water resource and irrigation engineering;
- Working knowledge (level C) of English and the local languages (Pashto and/or Dari);
- National of Afghanistan.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Proven skill of technical survey and other data collection (maps, benchmark levels, etc.) for the design and preparation of drawings of irrigation works and river bank protection works;
- Have skill to ensure all technical inputs and cost estimates related to the construction components are accurate, timely provided and included in the project proposals and budgets;
- Have knowledge of finalizing the scope of works with the timeline needed for the implementation;
- Have experience of design of irrigation, river bank protection works, watershed management works, karezez and the conservation ponds etc;
- Proven skill to coordinate with the implementing partner NGO to get the desired outputs;
- Have skill to develop technical documents based on national and international standards and codes of practice and based on the mandatory safety and health requirements;
- Proven skill to coordinate with the relevant institutions and the communities;
- Having skill to contribute towards the preparation of various reports on the status of implementation/progress with irrigation works;
- Good knowledge of the AutoCAD, MS Office package, Internet etc.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/ ;
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/ ;
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.