|Date Posted:||Jun 20, 2017|
|Closing Date:||Jun 26, 2017|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableNone|
|Years of Experience:||3 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Afghanistan Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP):
The Afghanistan Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP) is a multi-pronged effort to develop and strengthen the capacity of the Afghan criminal justice sector institutions and justice professionals. JSSP is funded by the United States Department of State/Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL). PAE is INL’s prime contractor responsible for implementing JSSP. Through capacity building, technical advice and direct assistance, JSSP helps the justice institutions and the justice professionals perform their respective roles in delivering fair and effective justice services to the citizens of Afghanistan. In addition to working with justice institutions, JSSP participates in a variety of projects designed to promote access to a fair and effective justice system.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Provide advisory services such as legal drafting, legal research and coordination activities for MOJ Taqnin Professional Members.
2. To translate written documents from English and/or Dari/Pashto/Arabic using proper legal terminology, paying attention to detail, and ensuring complete translation of entire documents.
3. Helping Taqnin members with entering translated laws and other legal documents into the MoJ Database.
4. To interpret for international justice advisors in meetings, workshops, seminars and trainings using proper legal terminology and accuracy.
5. Conduct Mentoring sessions within MOJ Taqnin Department staff to discuss rules and techniques for legal English translation, legal terminology, legal drafting and administrative and research skills.
6. Conducting short-term training programs in legislative drafting, accurate writing, research methodology and other similar subjects for Taqnin members.
7. Establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholders including, but not limited to, local government officials; police and prosecutors; international organizations involved in the justice sector; Afghan organizations involved in the justice sector; and customary and traditional law actors.
8. Assist Taqnin in developing plans and projects to perform their functions and strengthen communications between internal relevant offices.
9. Provide regular reporting on work activities or other reports required by the project management.
10. Perform any other duties as assigned by the Legislative Capacity Building (LCB) Section Lead, Technical Director, Deputy Chief of Team and Chief of Team.
1. Minimum Bachelor’s degree required in Law or in a related field.
2. Master’s degree in relevant field is preferred.
3. Demonstrated professional maturity and good interpersonal skills for teamwork, and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
4. Excellent computer skills and knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
5. Experience in giving presentations.
6. Experience working in cross-cultural environments.
7. Ability to meet deadlines.
1. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively verbally and in writing with staff at all levels of the organization.
2. Excellent written and oral English.
3. Excellent computer skills in using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
4. Ability to build effective working relationships remotely and quickly.
5. Ability to analyze complex situations and problems and identify an appropriate response to them.
6. Deadline oriented.
7. Ability to work independently, and as part of a team, to build relationships with partners and clients.
8. Ability to manage conflicting priorities and balance a heavy workload.
1. Knowledge of legal English terminology.
2. Knowledge of current trends in translating legislative documents.
3. Knowledge of legislative procedure.
4. Demonstrable knowledge of legislative drafting.
5. Knowledge of Afghanistan government structure.
6. Knowledge of international treaties, conventions and protocols acceded to by Afghanistan.
7. Good understanding of capacity building and transition in Afghan justice institutions.
8. Knowledge and understanding of training and mentoring in the justice sector development process.