|Date Posted:||Oct 16, 2010|
|Closing Date:||Oct 24, 2010|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||Fresh|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||No|
|Probation Period:||1 month|
UNDP Afghanistan is supporting the Government of Afghanistan to implement the Afghanistan Peace and Reintegration Programme. This programme is supported by the international community and the United Nations to bring long term security and stability to Afghanistan. To implement this programme, a Peace and Reintegration (P&R) Trust Fund will be established to support various reintegration efforts, including training programmes, development activities and technical support.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the ASGP Regional Governance Advisor, the Technical Specialist (Provincial Governance, ASGP) is responsible for oversight of ASGP activities at the provincial level, in relation to overall aspects of sub-national development planning and implementation, including development coordination, capacity building, and budget formulation and performance measurement. Key roles and responsibilities include:
1. Provide guidance and technical assistance to provincial government counterparts in undertaking their basic functions and responsibilities for better delivery of services to the people, focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Work with the Provincial Governor, District Governors, Mayors and Directors of key executive agencies concerned in the pursuit of overall local development and improved service delivery, including those related to planning, budgeting and implementation of annual and multi-year provincial and sub-national development plans;
* Coordinate the preparation of provincial strategic and annual development plans and budgets, consistent with the overall provincial development policies and with the ANDS and other government reform initiatives and policies;
* Provide technical advice to build the capacity of the Governorâ€™s Office to provide oversight and supervision of the activities of line agencies within their territorial jurisdictions.
* Provide support and technical guidance to the Governorâ€™s Office and other provincial institutions in establishment and application of performance monitoring and evaluation systems, including the ANDS M and E framework as well as the IDLG performance measurement systems for good governance.
2. Actively participate in the building of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Assist in developing and fostering partnership and cooperation between and among the Office of the Provincial Governor, Provincial Councils, directorates, donor agencies, and civil society organizations to address critical socioeconomic development requirements and service delivery;
* Support the development of partnerships with UN Agencies, government agencies, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private actors , international military organizations, and civil society organizations based on the strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and provincial priorities;
* Oversee the production of periodic studies, analyses, updates and briefs on the local development situation at the provincial level to be used by stakeholders;
* Support the process of formulating a user-friendly development information system for provincial planning and monitoring of the delivery of basic services;
* Identify and assess the requirements for additional technical assistance services in the province;
3. Participate in advocacy and promotion of awareness of UNDPâ€™s mandate and mission focusing on achievement of the following results:
* Provide support on policy advocacy for the Millennium Development Goals, Human Development and pro-poor and equitable economic growth by participating in relevant forums, conferences and training;
* Participate in monitoring progress and formulation of strategies towards achievement of the Millennium Development Goals;
4. Provide oversight in the management of other ASGP/Government staff contracted under a memorandum of understanding (MOU) between UNDP and the Government assigned in the province, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
* Guide all staff in the preparation of detailed individual and provincial work plans, including expected outputs with agreed upon performance indicators;
* Provide daily supervision and coaching for the staff contracted on the MOU to ensure that their activities contribute to implementation of ASGP and government programmes;
* Maintain close relations with government counterparts.
* Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UNâ€™s values and ethical standards;
* Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
* Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity;
* Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
* Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
Knowledge Management and Learning
* Promotes sharing of knowledge and experience and contributes to UNDP Practice Areas and actively works towards continued personal learning and development;
* Ability to provide top quality policy advice on economic issues;
* In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues;
Development and Operational Effectiveness
* Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
* Ability to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of projects;
* Ability to work with minimal supervision;
* Ability to lead formulation and evaluation of development projects.
Leadership and Self-Management
* Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
* Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
* Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
* Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
* Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
* Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
* Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills.
Education and Experience:
* Masterâ€™s Degree in a field relevant to Urban or Regional Development, Economics, or Public Administration.
* Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in development in a governmental, multilateral or civil society organization in a multi-cultural setting, preferably in the context of sub-national governance and reform, decentralization or local autonomy;
* Experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of local development projects is desirable.
* Professional experience in preparation of presentations and other communication or training tools.
* Strong written and spoken skills in English;
* Written and spoken skills in Dari or Pashto will be an advantage;
* Ability to read and write in Arabic/Persian script will be an advantage.