|Date Posted:||Jul 18, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Aug 18, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Education/ Training|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade CAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry of Education (MoE):
The aim of the EQRA Project is “to increase equitable access to primary and secondary education, particularly girls, in selected lagging provinces, and to improve learning conditions in Afghanistan.” EQRA introduces a shift from monitoring only the enrollment of students (which also includes attention to students designated as ‘permanently absent’) to focusing on bringing children into school as well as student attendance. The Education Quality Reform for Afghanistan (EQRA) is fully aligned with the goals of the Afghanistan National Strategic Plan (NESP III). The project is designed to (A) increase equitable access in disadvantaged districts especially for girls; (B) improve quality of instruction/education service delivery and (C) enhance MoE governance and management capacity. The project focuses on the construction and expansion of schools, provide community-based education to out of school children, reform curriculum for all grades, improve and ensure textbooks delivery to schools, enhance academic supervision, strengthen teacher & TTC quality, improve execution of budget, strengthen and increase use of EMIS, implement capacity building reform, and reform recruitment process for civil service.
The Ministry of Education (MoE) of Afghanistan is leading the implementation of the third National Education Strategic Plan (NESP III: 2017-2021) for the goal to prepare skilled and competent citizens through the education system to sustain Afghanistan’s socioeconomic development and social cohesion in the country. To this end, the World Bank supports the MoE through EQRA project, aiming to provide support to increase equitable access to education, improving learning conditions, and strengthening sector planning capacity and transparency.
ECE pilot project is commissioned under component four of EQRA project. The component aims to strengthen the capacity of the MoE at the national and sub-national levels to achieve results in priority areas, and more broadly, to manage the delivery of quality education services promoted under NESP III. Under this pilot project a one-year ECE will be delivered to children of age 5-6 to prepare them for a smooth transition to primary school.
A TA in the capacity of Teachers’ Training Specialist will provide technical and specialized support to the ECED in areas of ECE teacher training, assist in the development of ECE curriculum and develop the teaching and training material. The specialist will be responsible to design and plan required trainings for ECE teachers and master trainers on national and sub-national levels and provide necessary technical support in establishment of ECE pilot classes. The position will engage in capacity building of the skills and knowledge for the ECED, and relevant MoE Tashkeel personnel concurrently. The position will lead the monitoring, evaluation and observation of relevant areas of the ECE pilot classes and teachers and provide necessary feedback on continued improvement of training guidelines for ECE teachers and education sector planning to ensure better learning outcomes.
Reporting to the ECE project manager at GED, the incumbent will play a key role to lay a strong foundation of ECE and assist the unit in onboarding teachers for ECE pilot classes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Manage and orchestrate teachers training plan and implementation in 10 ECE pilot provinces as per new curriculum for ECE and close consultation with ECED and Curriculum Department in MOE and stakeholders engaged in this area.
2. Develop learning material and teachers’ guidelines (teacher book) for teachers training in coordination with teachers’ training Department, PEDs, and DEDs.
3. Design and implement teacher trainings accordingly and subsequently support the establishment of ECE pilot classes.
4. Be responsible for capacity development activities of teachers, coaches and relevant specialist personal of the MoE.
5. Identify and conduct Training Needs Assessment (TNA) of the local education authorities; design and propose the required trainings accordingly.
6. Ensure quality and better learning outcome in ECE polit classes through regular field visits, teachers’ evaluations, technical follow ups and process monitoring.
7. Plan and visit the ECE classrooms, observe teachers and their approaches and methods; give feedback after each visit to the teachers and make action plans for addressing issues identified during the visits. Keep proper written record of each visit.
8. Plan and develop ECE teachers monitoring and evaluation mechanism and implement it on all ECE teachers.
9. Liaise with other education actors, particularly Teachers’ Education Directorate and other training institutions as well as the local education authorities with respect to capacity development activities, training material etc.
10. Improve the capacity of working-group and teacher’s trainers at the sub-national level for M&E of the ECE classes.
11. Provide recommendations in ECE policy development from Teachers training perspective.
12. Provide recommendation in ECE model development from teachers’ training perspective.
13. Assist and consolidate review sessions, workshops, and validation events.
1. Content and guidelines for Teacher Training developed.
2. ECE teachers and master trainers training plan developed and implemented in 10 ECE provinces.
3. M&E and Teachers’ observation mechanism for ECE pilot classes on teacher training and curriculum implementation developed and implemented.
4. ECED Tashkeel staff and teachers’ trainers capacity at sub-national level developed.
Bachelor or Master degree in Education, Educational Management, Social Sciences or other relevant field
At least 5 years of relevant professional experience with Master Degree and 7 years relevant professional experiences with a Bachelor degree in related field.
Working experience of managing similar work, ideally either in public sector of Afghanistan, UN projects, World Bank projects, and/or INGO.
1. Demonstrated strong capacity and experience in capacity development including Training, Needs Assessment, planning, delivering training and academic follow up.
2. Demonstrated strong capacity and experience in planning and developing monitoring and evaluation mechanisms.
3. Good command of report writing and impact analysis.
4. Demonstrated strong capacity and experience in capacity building of public sector personnel.
1. Good team player
2. Excellent coordination skills
3. Excellent Communication Skills
4. Excellent interpersonal Skills
5. Outstanding Problem-Solving skills
6. Excellent Report Writing Skills
Must be fluent in English, Pashtu and Dari.
Geography: Based in Kabul, will be travelling to provinces regularly
Key Reporting Relationship:
The Technical Specialist Teachers’ Training will be reporting to the ECE Project manager and the Director General of General Directorate of Curriculum.
Recruitment, work condition and evaluation
1. The recruitment will be done through transparent and competitive processes.
2. Work conditions
1. The Technical Specialist Techers’ Training ‘National’ will work according to Afghanistan MoE’s and donors' rules and regulation.
2. MoE will provide a proper work station at MoE main building.
1. The initial three months will be considered a probationary period.
2. A formal performance evaluation shall be conducted annually jointly by the Ministry of Education leadership as well as by the WB with observers of the key donors.
3. An exit interview will be conducted upon completion of the contract. This exit interview constitutes condition for final payment.
4. These reporting obligations would be in addition to any reporting and evaluation obligations decided and directly conducted by the Ministry and/or World Bank.
5. The extension of contract is subject to fund availability, organization’s need, and satisfactory performance.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
Interested Afghan candidates should submit their letter of interest (cover letter) along with the updated resumes to:
HR, MINISTRY OF EDUCATION Deh Afghanan, Gul Bahar Center, Ministry of Foreign Street, 7th floor first Corridor first office, Kabul, Afghanistan
no later than 31st July 2020, candidates who have access to the Internet can send their applications to the below email.
You are requested to send your letter of interest along with the updated resume. Please mention post title and vacancy number in the subject line of your email (NO APPLICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT SUBJECT LINE. THE APPLICATION MUST HAVE SUBJECT LINE INDICATING TITLE AND VACANCY NUMBER). However, do not email us heavy sized files such as your certificates, recommendation letters, etc. We kindly request all the applicants to mention their graduation date of the university and must clearly write the date of experiences in the CV. THOSE WHO DO NOT FULFILL THE APPLYING REQUIREMENTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR SHORTLIST. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted with and called for the test and interview. The test & interview dates, time and place will be determined and communicated with the shortlisted candidates only sooner after the deadline of the vacancy announcement.
Ministry of Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
MoE does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, handicap, religion, ethnic origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Candidates with disabilities and qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.