|Date Posted:||Nov 26, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Dec 9, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Probation Period:||6 months|
About International Development Law Organization (IDLO):
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) is an inter-governmental development organization with headquarters in Rome and program offices in Kabul and several other provinces in Afghanistan. IDLO fulfils its mandate by providing training, technical assistance, research, and publication to governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), local communities, and professional associations in developing countries, countries in economic transition, and countries emerging from armed conflict. The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law. IDLO began working in Afghanistan in 2001 and has become a leading partner of Afghan government, donor countries and international agencies to achieve the common goal of strengthening the rule of law. Afghanistan has been an IDLO Member Country since 2012.
The Translator/ Interpreter will work under the direct supervision of the Translation Coordinator and undertake translation projects and interpretation of a legal nature and provide full support to IDLO translation services.
Requires travel to provinces:
· Experience of working in simultaneous interpretation, consecutive interpretation and/or professional translation required;
· Precision in editing and drafting;
· Knowledge/experience with legal terminology highly preferred with ability to continuously keep current with Afghan legal concepts, terminology and language;
· Experience in an Afghan justice system agency or NGO will be an advantage;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· Proficiency in MS Office products, including MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Outlook;
· Good research skills and the ability to synthesize, draft, and edit complex information;
· Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results;
· Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Translator/Interpreter will be responsible for:
· Undertaking a range of translation and interpretation assignments in the target language ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained
· Translating according to established rules pertaining to factors, such as word meanings, sentence structure, grammar, punctuation, and mechanics
· Editing texts in the target language to ensure a style of presentation in conformity with IDLO standards
· Undertaking research related to the texts and/or subject matter and contribute to the development and preparation of multilingual glossaries used by translators and/or interpreters
· Using dictionaries, thesauruses, and reference books to find the closest equivalents for terminology and words;
· Researching legal, technical, and scientific phraseology to find the correct translation
· Proofreading, editing, and providing final translated versions with a grammatical, well-expressed version of the translated text as a word-processed document
· Reviewing translations by other staff
· Providing consecutive or simultaneous interpretation into the target language in a variety of settings, e.g. IDLO classes, external meetings, and/or roundtables
· Maintaining administrative work relating to all translation/interpretation assignments
· Any other duties that may be assigned by the supervisor
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
· Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Linguistics, Law another relevant field.
· 5 years relevant experience.
· Fluency in English, Dari, and Pashto is required, knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage.