|Date Posted:||Nov 26, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Dec 9, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||8 Years|
|Probation Period:||6 months|
About International Development Law Organization (IDLO):
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) is an inter-governmental development organization with headquarters in Rome and program offices in Kabul and several other provinces in Afghanistan. IDLO fulfils its mandate by providing training, technical assistance, research, and publication to governments, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), local communities, and professional associations in developing countries, countries in economic transition, and countries emerging from armed conflict. The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity and under the rule of law. IDLO began working in Afghanistan in 2001 and has become a leading partner of Afghan government, donor countries and international agencies to achieve the common goal of strengthening the rule of law. Afghanistan has been an IDLO Member Country since 2012.
The Translation Coordinator will work under the direct supervision of the Field Program Manager and undertake translation projects and interpretation of a legal nature and provide full support to IDLO translation services. Translation involves a full range of legal documents, reports, formal text, manuscripts, official correspondence, publications, and other materials. Accurate and complete versions in the target language using the most appropriate range of vocabulary and the commonly accepted or established equivalents of professional, scientific or technical concepts and terms is required.
Requires travel to provinces:
· Experience of working in simultaneous interpretation, consecutive interpretation and/or professional translation required;
· Precision in editing and drafting;
· Knowledge/experience with legal terminology highly preferred with ability to continuously keep current with Afghan legal concepts, terminology and language;
· Experience in an Afghan justice system agency or NGO will be an advantage;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
· Proficiency in MS Office products, including MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Outlook;
· Good research skills and the ability to synthesize, draft, and edit complex information;
· Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results;
· Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Translation Coordinator will be responsible for:
- Prepare translation work plan and implement strategies for identifying and recruiting the best translators and interpreters.
- Evaluate the performance of translator(s).
- Undertake a range of translation and interpretation assignments in the target language ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained.
- Translate according to established rules pertaining to factors, such as word meanings, sentence structure, grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
- Edit texts in the target language to ensure a style of presentation in conformity with IDLO standards.
- Undertake research related to the texts and/or subject matter at and contribute to the development and preparation of multilingual glossaries used by translators and/or interpreters.
- Use of special dictionaries, thesauruses and reference books to find the closest equivalents for terminology and words
- Research legal, technical and scientific phraseology to find the correct translation
- Proofread, edit and provide final translated versions with a grammatical, well-expressed version of the translated text, as a word-processed document.
- Meet deadlines as agreed to with head of different components.
- Provide consecutive or simultaneous interpretation into the target language in a variety of settings, e.g., IDLO classes, external meetings, and/or roundtables normally dealing with a particular substantive topic.
- Any other relevant duties assigned by the supervisor
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
· Master’s degree in English, Linguistics, law of another similar field required.
· 8 years relevant experience.
· Fluency in English Dari, and Pashto is required, knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage.
Qualified applicants should submit a copy of their CV accompanied by a detailed application letter and contact details, no later than December 09, 2019 to the email given. Please clearly indicate the position and the vacancy number (Translation Coordinator - IDLO/RIIALS/20/2019) applied for in the subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for Test/Interview.
Females are highly encouraged to apply!