|Date Posted:||Nov 24, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Dec 5, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||4 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
About Samuel Hall:
Samuel Hall is a social enterprise that conducts research in countries affected by issues of migration and displacement. Our mandate is to produce research that delivers a contribution to knowledge with an impact on policies, programmes and people.
We provide practicable insights to challenging issues in the developing world by providing academic-standard research through primary data collection in areas where researchers do not commonly go. Samuel Hall works with governments, donors, multilateral organisations and INGOs, as well public and private sector entities. We have worked with more than sixty-five organisations worldwide since 2009 through our offices in Afghanistan, Kenya and Somalia covering Asia and Africa.
We generate knowledge in the form of primary data and the insights and analysis we provide. We fill in data gaps with the contextual and scientific standards required. We look for pro-active, creative individuals who can identify opportunities to make their mark and identify solutions to problems. We believe in hiring people who can show their ability to be both strong leaders and reliable followers, who have skills that our team currently lacks and who join us to add value from the very start.
Samuel Hall (www.samuelhall.org) is seeking an experienced and professional Translator to join its team for a full-time position based in our Kabul office.
Translators have the opportunity to apply their skills in our Kabul office. They are an integral component of our research projects and work on desk reviews, key informant interviews, and research tools.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Translate all research tools such as questionnaires, focus group discussion guidelines, interview guidelines, training documents, presentations, authorization letters, field interviews, field notes, executive summaries, reports and briefings
- Translate all office documentation such as standard operating procedures, communication documents, contact lists, etc.
- Interpret interviews and other conversations led by international staff when needed
- Interpret and liaise between international research staff and field teams when needed
- Provide the above services to all staff members from:
- English to Dari
- Dari to English
- (English to Pashto)
- (Pashto to English)
- (Dari to Pashto)
- (Pashto to Dari)
PROBLEM SOLVING AND MANAGEMENT
- Review past translations from other team members and provide feedback in order to improve the quality of the work when needed
- Identify gaps and propose solutions regarding tool design, data collection and other translation issues
- Supervise the outsourced work of external translators hired on a short-term basis
- Devise potential tests and training materials for national applicants
- Be proactive and propose innovative ideas for the improvement of research cycle and office procedures related to translation tasks
- Applicants will need to possess and demonstrate the following qualifications and transferable skills:
- · Advanced university degree with a minimum of four years of higher education
- Complete written and oral fluency in English and Dari; Pashto is an asset
- · Exceptional English writing skills
- · Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- · Keen attention to detail
- · Ability to adapt and work well within a team
- · Ability to cope well under pressure, work occasionally irregular hours and meet tight deadlines
- Three strong and verifiable references