|Date Posted:||Mar 26, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Apr 16, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About American University of Afghanistan:
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit, nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of over 1,000 students.
The AUAF’s Student Affairs department is seeking qualified candidate for full time position as University Counselor based in Kabul.
The Office of Student Affairs is an integral part of the University’s plans to provide student support services equivalent to those found in American colleges and universities while also reflecting the special needs and circumstances of a unique Afghan context.
The University Counselor is a vital component of the Student Affairs team. This position is responsible for providing counseling services in a manner that demonstrates commitment to the University’s mission and values, and to its diverse student population. Through a comprehensive, student-centered counseling approach, the University Counselor will provide development and educational assistance to AUAF community; develop and present structured groups for positive growth; develop, monitor, and provide in-service training and counseling support programs. The University Counselor must be willing and able to utilize a wide range of assessment instruments for personal, career, and educational issues.
Key Outcomes Include
· Development and implementation of mental health strategies for all members of the campus community
· Providing individual and group counseling
· Development of faculty and staff training on helping students in emotional difficulty
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Provide direct individual and group mental health counseling for the AUAF Community.
· Provide on-site crisis response and crisis assessment – respond to students in crisis.
· Develop and implement psycho-educational and prevention/outreach programming on relevant topics – in the form of workshops, awareness, and social media
· Participate in events/initiatives of the Office of Student Affairs.
· Develop and implement policies and procedures for the AUAF counseling center,
· Assist with self-care planning and stress reduction for the AUAF Community.
· Consults with the Director of Student Affairs to identify trends and needs of the study body in the areas of mental health.
· Maintain documentation of counselling services provided, contributes to gathering data, complying information, and preparing required reports for the different stakeholders/sponsors of the university.
· Collaborate with Residence Life, develop programming and offer services for residential students – to include assistance with Residence Assistants training.
· Provide workshops for faculty and staff in the training of psycho-social first aid.
· Develop and present grief and bereavement related programming in response to the AUAF community needs.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Advanced degree in counseling, psychology, clinical social work or related field.
· Good knowledge of the English language.
· Minimum 5 years’ professional experience – to include one-on-one counseling experience.
· Demonstrated ability to provide outreach, prevention, consolation, and group counseling.
· Experience with program development.
· Successful candidate will be female.
· Fluency in one of the national languages of Afghanistan (Dari or Pashto)
· Experience working in an Islamic country and/or developing nation
· Experience working in a college/university counseling setting
· Ability to interact with grieving individuals and families in a supportive, empathic manner while taking into consideration actual or potential cultural diversities.
· Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, to provide information to families, recipients, health care personnel, community members/leaders and the general public.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality.