|Date Posted:||Jul 9, 2020|
|Closing Date:||Jul 23, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||4 month(s)|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
About Ministry of Agriculture Irrigation and livestock (MAIL):
The Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock is a key ministry of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan that aims to develop the agriculture, irrigation and livestock of the rural and urban communities. The Ministry is expected to lay the foundations for a long-term strengthening of local agriculture, to promote governance, to rebuild social capital and leadership within villages and neighborhoods, and to provide assistance for rehabilitation and development to communities.
The General Directorate of Natural Resources Management is one of the key directorates of the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock. The vision of General Directorate of Natural Resources Management is to ensure sustainable economic development of communities depend on natural resources (Forest, Rangelands, natural vegetation, and ecological areas), create green environment, conserve soil, water and protect biodiversity. Thus, the mission of General Directorate of Natural Resources Management is restoration, protection, conservation, and improvement of forest, rangeland, natural vegetation and ecological areas, introducing prudent utilization approaches and mechanisms, watersheds management and soil conservation, combat desertification and improve ecological balance; resultant to reduced natural disasters, healthy environment, agriculture and livestock sector development and food security.
The Kabul Greenbelt Project is one of the initiatives of General Directorate of Natural Resources Management, and it's overall goal is to establishment 10000 ha greenbelt by plantation of ornamental forestry saplings, restore and rehabilitate grasslands to improve urban greenery in the Kabul city in order to reduce air pollutions, create green areas and improve bio-diversity. Moreover, this project will directly and indirectly impact on health and economic status of Kabul citizens.
Under the overall guidance of the Kabul Greenbelt Project Coordinator and Director General of Natural Resources Management, the incumbent shall effectively and efficiently manage the implementation of Kabul Greenbelt Project, which includes from project survey, design, project formulation, budgeting, supervision, monitoring, evaluation and timely-based reporting. Moreover, the incumbent shall develop management plans, formulate new concepts, proposals, conduct studies and undertake new initiatives to expand the greenery activities at national-wide.
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Project site identification, selection and need assessment, develop a clear site plan / management plan for each areas under the coverage and expansion of Kabul Greenbelt Project that will including the project scope of work for the areas from different aspects such as greenery, engineering, management, and operation and maintenance.
2. Timely implementation of the project that includes, proposal developing, fund-raising, budgeting, field survey, designs, field work, monitoring and reporting of the project progresses.
3. Prepare specifications for tree and grasses plantations in areas, maintenance, treatment and planting programs.
4. Implements plans, strategies and programs to conserve, preserve and proliferate the urban canopy
5. Prepare, develop, improve and modify the project document based on the needs and technical field studies, and execute project in the identified areas to meet the desired outcome within the given timeframe.
6. Writes specifications, prepare cost estimations for projects and budget request, and provide technical and administrative supports and recommendations.
7. Performs planning, establish a system for data collection and reporting activities including a complete inventory of trees planted.
8. Plans, coordinates and prioritizes the work of contractors and greenbelt project staff at the project office and field level.
9. Utilizes GIS technologies for projects identification, design, and urban forest improvement
10. Develop concept notes and proposals for expansion of the project to other cities and province for improvement of green areas in the cities and reduction of air-pollution and its related negative impacts.
11. Establish a sound monitoring and evaluation system with clear and indicators for timely based monitoring of input, process and output, and a clear evaluation system to assess the project progress, outcome and impact.
12. Enhance participatory-based Kabul Greenbelt Project implementation, work with local peoples/communities, increase their awareness, form association, build trust, and facilitate project implementation and maintenance through communities.
13. Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in urban greenery, and related projects in light of emerging challenges of climate change, and publish the lesson-learnt in the MAIL website and share with other MAIL departments.
14. Evolve innovative methodologies and approached for participatory-based implementation and management of the urban greenery project, produce technical guidelines, operation and maintenance manual, training manual for communities, and provide technical capacities for strengthening both institutional and human resource capacity.
15. Develop national plan for urban greenery in the country based on the field assessments and realities.
16. Other relevant activities as assigned by the Rangeland Director and NRM Director General from time to time.
· The incumbent is expected to produce a clear plan of action within two weeks of recruitment and present it to NRM Director General.
The incumbent will develop a clear reporting system and provide detailed narrative and summarized report to Project Coordinator zthe Director General of Natural Resources Management based on weekly, quarterly annually and need to bases
1. Bachelors / Master Degree from reputable universities in Agriculture, (Urban Forestry Management / Natural Resources Management, plant protection, Horticulture, preference will be given to a PhD degree or equivalent.
2. 5 years of work experience in the field of Natural Resources and Forestry Project Management.
3. The candidate should demonstrate high level of project management, leadership, planning, problem solving, analytical, team building and communication skills.
4. Ability to prepare climate proofed project proposals, progress reports, skills in project planning, negotiation and assessment.
5. Experience in research, and a documented record of publications in the field of natural resources is desirable.
6. Skilled in utilization of GIS application in urban forestry planning
7. Work as a team player to support other program activities and promote institutional goals.
8. Explicit experience designing development strategies and programs.
9. Ability to balance competing priorities on a tight deadline
10. Excellent communication and English-writing skills.
11. Skills, competency with MS Office packages such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Notice of revision:
These terms of reference may be revised subject to operational needs