|Date Posted:||Jun 7, 2017|
|Closing Date:||Jun 19, 2017|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Economic Growth|
|Salary Range:||Salary is negotiableUSD|
|Years of Experience:||5 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the United Nations agency for human settlements. The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, has been working within Afghanistan since 1992
This post is located in the Knowledge Management Unit of the UN-Habitat Afghanistan office. The overall objective of KMU is to facilitate efficient and effective implementation and communications of the UN-Habitat Afghanistan office. KMU is mandated to enhance knowledge base and capacity development, promote result based implementation of programmes, and improve communication and visibility of UN-Habitat Afghanistan.
Urban Researcher (UR) will work for KMU under the direct supervision of Knowledge Management Officer (the Head of KMU). S/he will undertake the task related to production of knowledge and analytical products for UN-Habitat Afghanistan
Requires travel to provinces:
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised,
Duties & Responsibilities:
The UR will perform his/her duty based on KMU’s work, programme and activities. She/he will be responsible for the following duties:
- Rigorous research and analysis of key urban trends and issues including but not limited to Urban Economy, Governance, Urbanization, Migration and others as required.
- Research, assemble, and manipulate data for research reports, discussion papers, knowledge products and flagship publications of UN-Habitat’s Programmes capturing processes and procedures.
- Build partnerships with key stakeholders including interagency and inter-country relationships for improved urban knowledge sharing and management in Afghanistan.
- Coordinate workflow between stakeholders from government, communities, donors, partners and other UN System organizations.
- Support the development of qualitative and quantitative data collection tools for Monitoring & Evaluation of programs effectiveness
- Assist the government’s participation in International conferences and events.
- Write concise reports for a variety of audiences on emerging thematic findings
- Work with the Senior Gender Advisor to promote gender mainstreaming in research and analysis activities as well as in new programmes
- Review and analysis of large data sets for key trends and visualization of information.
- Support the communication team for developing communication strategy, increased programme visibility and various materials
- Support and improve baseline surveys conducted by each programme
- Perform any other relevant duties assigned by the Knowledge Management Officer.
- Develop thematic presentations for seminars, workshops, and training events on programme progress and findings
- Represent UN-Habitat at national and International conferences and delivery keynote presentations and speeches as required
Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to urban economics, Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Excellent English oral and writing communication skills. Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; Is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- University degree (Bachelor degree or above) in Economics, Urban Studies or related field.
- A minimum of two years of work experience in public/private sector responsible for Economics, Statistics, or Knowledge Management-related area.