|Date Posted:||May 12, 2019|
|Closing Date:||May 25, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||6|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||3 Years|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
Afghanaid is a British-registered international NGO, which has worked in Afghanistan for over 30 years. We assist community-driven processes that address the rights and fundamental needs of people in some of the most remote areas of Afghanistan, providing basic services, supporting development of rural livelihoods and responding to humanitarian emergencies. We are headquartered in Kabul, and operate 20 provincial and district offices across Badakhshan (north-eastern region), Samangan (northern region) and Ghor (western region), as well as a Marketing and Fundraising office in London. We employ around 160 personnel, 97% of whom are Afghans.
Under Rangeland Management project, The Site Engineer will be responsible Survey, Design, Estimation, Proposal and implementation of irrigation structure of green engineering in Rangeland Management (RAMA) project, who under the direct steer and line management of Provincial Engineer, and working closely with RAMA project district staff, he/she is responsible for overall irrigation and civil engineering tasks in district level.
Participatory identification of intervention sites – Developing criteria, engaging stakeholders, making consensual decision.
Construction of necessary watershed irrigation structure – mapping intervention sites, implementation of irrigation structure, progress monitoring and reporting.
Site survey, technical survey, design and implementation of any type of low cost soil and watershed conservation measure in close coordination with watershed specialist.
Requires travel to provinces:
Projects Monitoring, community analysis survey, use of PRA methodology, construction survey and design, report writing, reasonable level of English reading and writing.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Technical Survey, Cost estimation, Design, implementation of all irrigation structure.
- · Develop through stakeholders’ consultative process criteria for selecting watershed area for rehabilitation, community work plans and monitoring mechanisms
- · Organize/ facilitate participatory process through community mobilization and arrive at consensual decisions regarding selection of watershed rehabilitation.
- · Conflict Resolution of likely disagreements which may emerge because of miscommunication or conflicting interests of interest groups, and timely address them.
- · Document and disseminates decisions to relevant individuals and organizations in timely manner.
- · Provide regular technical advice to the watershed user to protect and maintain the constructed watershed masonry structure.
- · Work in a team to develop/ update guidelines for establishing watershed management committee.
- · Regularly monitor watershed masonry structures, collect data, document, case studies update and report achievements.
- · Actually conduct the feasibility/ technical/ site surveys, prepare the bill of quantities, technical designs etc.
- · Ensuring that the budgeted costs for goods, works, and services are reasonable (reflect market rates) and that all costs have been accounted for. Before finalizing sub projects, facilitating preparation of a realistic operations, maintenance and cost recovery plan.
- · Ensuring adequate technical oversight, including assessing the impact of engineering interventions on habitats, is provided in site selection, survey and feasibility of the proposed sub projects/construction activities before finalization of the proposals.
- · Providing technical assistance to skilled labour, and community people.
- · Monitoring from each stage of subproject during its implementation period. This includes support and oversight for the procurement and financial issues.
- · Ensuring that the implementation schedule, the quality of the procured materials in the site and other details of the subprojects.
- · Ensuring timely completion and proper functioning of all Projects/construction activities.
- · Deal with community people to encourage them for better implementation of sub project/construction activities, and preparation of sub project O&M plans for project sustainability.
- · Liaise with NRM specialist, Social Organizers and NRM Assistants, District NRM Specialist, Senior Livelihood and livestock officers in project implementation.
- · Regular travel to district and project coverage area, to ensure all planned activities are on track.
- · Capacity building, of skill labour and community people trough on job trainings, technical advice and practical instruction.
- · Handling paperwork and keeping administrative records.
- · Preparation of weekly monthly and quarterly reports.
- · Check projects progress against daily work plan.
To perform any other related duties as required by the line manager.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Daykundi
BSc. Degree in Civil/Irrigation Engineering subject.
3 years or more experience in civil engineering and community development field.
Please email a covering letter and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org including the job title and your name in the subject line by May 25th 2019. Your covering letter should be no more than 2 standard A4 pages in length and explain how you meet the position requirements and why you feel you would be a suitable candidate for this role. Your CV should be no more than 4 pages and include 3 professional references. The precision and style with which you present yourself in your covering letter and CV will be given significant weight in short listing candidates.