|Date Posted:||Sep 1, 2022|
|Closing Date:||Sep 7, 2022|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Business Development and Growth|
|Salary Range:||55000 - 58000 AFN monthlyAFN|
|Years of Experience:||3 Years|
|Contract Duration:||25 day(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||No|
About Islamic Relief Worldwide:
Islamic Relief Worldwide – Afghanistan Country Office (IRW) is an international non profitable Non-governmental humanitarian relief organization with its head quarter in UK-Birmingham. It enjoys consultative status with the Economic and social Council of the United Nations and is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for International Red Cross and red Crescent Moments and NGOs in Disaster Relief. IRA started its humanitarian activities for Afghan Refugees in Pakistan and Afghan people inside Since then, IRA continued providing assistances in emergency relief, food security, women empowerment, girl education, orphan sponsorship, health, emergency education, shelter, Ramadan and qurbani programs.
1. Introduction and Background
Islamic Relief Worldwide – Afghanistan (IRW-A) has been implementing Entrepreneurship Development Project (EDP), aims to enhance socioeconomic empowerment of 450 Household entrepreneurs’ families (3,150 individuals) in Balkh, Herat and Bamyan provinces of Afghanistan, through engaging them into economic activities and entrepreneurship development. The entrepreneur Household will be capacitated on technical and entrepreneurship skills. Inputs, materials, equipment, market promotion, linkage and business development services will be provided to the Household entrepreneurs to promote their enterprise and increase profit. The project will facilitation support for establishing profitable and sustainable business enterprises for Household, which will increase their regular income, create job opportunities for other Household, and enhance their dignity and wellbeing.
The overall objective of this activity is to carry out a Value Chain Analysis to assess the market demand and market trend of the selected products (handicraft, tailoring, carpet weaving and food processing) in Balkh province. In particular, the Value Chain Analysis should shed light on the status and feasibility of existing and potential markets and determine which hold promise of employment opportunities, product expansion, market viability, value addition opportunities, quality improvement and input availability.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The specific objectives are:
(1) Review existing Value Chain Analyses of selected products and labour markets, and other relevant project documents.
(2) Draft an appropriate methodology for primary data collection and develop data collection tools (e.g., market survey, interviews with market actors, key informant interviews) that will be used to conduct the Value Chain Analysis. The methodology should specifically consult, and identify opportunities for, women entrepreneurs and youth (female).
(3) Plan and conduct a Value Chain Analysis focusing on:
- Identification of major local and regional markets
- Assessment of size of markets, volume of sales, market integration/segmentation
- Local market structure
- Value Chain actors (supplier of inputs, producers, retailors, shopkeepers, wholesaler, traders, and middlemen) performance
(4) Draft a Value Chain Analysis report, which includes an executive summary and practical recommendations that can be used to inform IRW’s livelihoods intervention and ensure viability, appropriateness, and ultimately sustainability.
1. Other related activities
· The IRW-A selected value chains that offer better opportunity in the local and regional markets and what requirements have been met to exploit those opportunities.
· Area of improvement for better production and productivity to increase competitiveness of the household enterprises engaged in the value chain.
· Identification of potentials in the value chain.
· Prepare a complete value chain map showing who is the chain actors, stakeholders, supporters, and influencers.
· Identification of possible improvements that can lead to significant increase in employment and income for the household entrepreneurs.
· A recommendation on how the project shall pursue its interventions in the face of findings on the ground.
The final report submitted to IRW-A will include recommendations and an implementation plan, in a separate document, which outlines where IRW-A can contribute based on the project activities to improve the blockages identified in the value chain analysis within the time span of the project.
The consultant will work closely and in coordination with the EDP project team, specifically the Programme Coordinator, Senior Programme Officer and EDP Officer.
3. Beneficiaries of the study
A value chain assessment of Household -enterprises’ products will be conducted by technical consultant, to assess the market demand and market trend of the products. The actors in different stages of the value-chain process will be identified from supplier of inputs, producers, retailors, shopkeepers, and wholesaler. Based on value chain analysis, each Household - enterprises will work on improvement of their products’ quality and packaging as per the market demand.
Requirement and Qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree in Economics, BBA
· Three years' experience in in the Value Chain Analysis Field
· Excellent knowledge of value chain analysis and market analysis.
· Strong analytical, research and presentation skills
· Willingness to travel to different districts of targeted provinces.
· Strong analytical skills
· Ability to work under pressure in challenging environments
· Capacity to dialogue with different sectors
· Excellent communication skills
· Determination and focus on goals and results
· Sound management and effective facilitation skills
Payment will be given on the assignment completion.