|Date Posted:||Sep 7, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Sep 27, 2019|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||4 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Open Ended|
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operation Center (AFOC) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.
The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.
The Project for Development of Water Supply Facilities in Dehsabz South Area - Parcel 2.2 (JICA V), funded by the Government of Japan (GoJ) through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) involves the design review, construction and installation of water supply facilities which are intended to support the planned new Kabul City. The water supply facilities include the following specific project scope components for design review, procurement of construction works, construction supervision, financial management and reporting. Planned construction works outputs include the construction and installation of boreholes (testing and production wells), water pumping station, water transmission main, water pressure regulating reservoir and principle water distribution main system.
Requires travel to provinces:
Please see the main announcement for more details
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Water Supply Engineer will be engaged in the implementation supervision of the construction of the water supply well station, pipeline and water pressure regulating reservoir, including capacity building. The incumbent will be responsible for the following specific tasks:
- Support the PM/Deputy PM for the planning, coordination, execution and delivery of physical infrastructure work packages of the project;
- Support the PM/Deputy PM for choosing the implementation methodology and the technical means to use or adapt to each batch of water supply facilities works;
- Responsible for the technical monitoring of all planning, design and execution of works;
- Support the PM/Deputy PM for deadlines, quality and cost management of works as well as strict compliance with UNOPS health and safety and social and environmental requirements and plans;
- Support the PM/Deputy PM in the management and reduction of risks related to project water supply facilities works packages in a consistent and efficient manner;
- Being the technical interface, coordinating UNOPS, partners and stakeholders as required;
- Analyse data, and prepare project progress reports, monitoring and evaluation reports on activities related to capacity development phase, and contribute to the final project report
- Assist in the preparation of bid documents for the procurement of goods, services and works and provide technical input during bid evaluation process;
- Support the PM/Deputy PM (UNOPS) in the administration of construction works contracts, and liaise with the Government authorities and the project stakeholders during project implementation;
- Monitor the overall physical progress of works of the contractors; take appropriate corrective measures to ensure timely delivery within budget ensuring quality of the work;
- Preparation and recommendation of the interim and final payments for contractor;
- Check and verify works quantities submitted by the Contractors for the claims, review requests for variation orders and make recommendations for the Project Manager actions;
Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Job Location:Afghanistan, Kabul
- Master’s Degree, preferably in Water Engineering or other related discipline is required;
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant discipline in combination with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree.