|Date Posted:||Dec 28, 2019|
|Closing Date:||Jan 10, 2020|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per NTA salary scale policyAF|
|Years of Experience:||1 Year|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Contract Type:||Short Term|
|Probation Period:||3 months|
IFAD support for SNaPP-2 aims to achieve national coverage over a three-phase implementation period consisting of 15 years. The present project constitutes the first phase of IFAD support. It will be implemented in three selected pilot provinces, namely Balkh, Herat and Nangarhar, with planned geographical expansion to additional provinces over the second and third phases. The selection of Balkh, Herat and Nangarhar provinces is aligned with MAIL's intention to commence with seven priority provinces for SNaPP-2 roll-out across the country. The present project will cover 589 CDCs consisting of 60,000 households (450,000 people) across six districts – NahriShahi and DihDadai in Balkh, Karukh and Zendhajan in Herat, and Darah e Noor and Khewa/Kuzkunar in Nangarhar.
Project geographical targeting is driven by security considerations, IFAD's strategic framework, and Government priority areas. The pilot provinces and districts are selected based on: (i) incidence of poverty: they have very high poverty ratios (Balkh 60%, Herat 39%, Nangarhar 33%) and massive unemployment/underemployment (Nangarhar 57%, Herat 53%, Balkh 49%); (ii) Government priority: they are priority areas for MAIL and MRRD, the two ministries launching the NPP-2; (iii) institutional networks: they have mature community organisations (CDCs), absorptive capacity for interventions, and functional decentralised MAIL-MRRD relations; (iv) economic and resource management opportunities: they have potential for rapid agriculture and livestock growth benefitting numerous poor rural people, and scope for improved natural resource management; (v) security and accessibility: they guarantee a relative level of security that allows regular and safe access; (vi) contiguity: pilot districts in each province are contiguous, which reduces administrative and logistical constraints and improves the prospects for efficiency; and, (vii) diversity: the provinces are agro-ecologically diverse and encompass a range of challenges.
Under the direct supervision of the (SNaPP-2/CALP) irrigation project coordinator and guidance of the director of the irrigation directorate and in close coordination with the provincial technical engineering staff, the YPC Engineer will be based in Balkh province and will assist the provincial field engineer in controlling the engineering affairs of the irrigation projects.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist the field engineer, in conducting the regular project visits in Balkh provinces to ensure that the work quality and progress is satisfactory and as per the irrigation department's standard, technical specifications and schedule of the sub project respectively;
- He/She should be fully aware of MAIL and IFAD contractual procedures
- Spot checking and guiding contractors on the requirements of the contract and on technical specifications to make sure the civil works are completed according the engineering standards;
- Reviews material submitted by contractors for compliance with the BOQ and specifications.
- Assist the field engineer in Checks compliance of QC requirements as per approved QC plan of the sub-project;
- Ensures that all tests are performed at the site for the various water course lining technology of schemesand the test results are well documented on daily basis;
- Responsible for quality of used materials in the construction work, and the workmanship;
- Ensure timely completion of projects as scheduled originally (as per the work plan);
- Responsible for controlling of quantity of the work completed according to the agreed-upon schedule
- To make sure the contractors have made enough provisions for allowing flow of canal water for irrigation, and build temporary pedestrian path or establish alternate road;
- Assist the field engineer in Submitting the weekly, monthly and project completion report of work progress to project Manager also keep the sub-project issues log updated;
- Ensure that the contractor provide labors the required safety equipment at the construction site as well as the contractor strictly following the prepared Environmental and Social Safeguard Management Plan;
- Responsible for solving technical problems during construction, in close coordination with Field Engineer;
- Facilitates site-meetings when necessary;
- Should have a close communication with IA, community, CDCs and contractor;
- Responsible of coordination and communication with DAIL offices.
- Maintains all documentation, work schedules and correspondence between PIU and Contractor;
- Ensures that Variation Order (VO) and/or Change Orders are issued in a timely manner;
- Ensures that construction schedules are regularly monitored;
- Ensure that time extension are issued before the contractual completion dates
- Keeps separate file for each contract from issuance of NIB to final payment;
- Maintains all quality control reports for each contract including OK cards;
- Maintains physical and financial progress of each contract;
- Prepares an inventory of Contractor;
- Assists in preparing and submitting in a timely manner all required performance reports to CLAP and ID
- Processes documents for travel and per diem by experts monitoring irrigation systems
- Performs all other relevant project activities assigned by the Irrigation Project Coordinator
- The candidate must have at least BSc in civil engineering , irrigation engineering or construction engineering from a recognized university with 1-year work experience and should have general understanding of (construction of canals, lining technologies, water control gates, flow measurement structures, siphons, culverts, construction of flood control levees etc.), quality control and safety.
- Have Knowledge Command of Auto CAD, MS Project and other Engineering Softwares.
- Any level work experience in site engineering /quality control/ field supervisor is required;
- Must be efficient in completion of the assigned tasks on time on the office/sits;
- Good capability to read write and speak English, organization skills, desire to learn, and basic computer literacy; and
- Have good report writing skills.
Required Key Competencies
- knowledge of QC tools, techniques, practices and procedures;
- knowledge of building materials and construction process;
- Have good analytical, writing, and communication skills
- Discretion and sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve day-to-day technical and QC issues;
- Know computer software, particularly in spreadsheet, database and Internet applications;
- Must always be willing to go and stay on the construction sites
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.