This one-year pre-PhD programme consists of two semesters of basic and advanced courses given by experts in the following fields:
- High Energy, Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics (HECAP)
- Condensed Matter Physics (CMP)
- Earth System Physics (ESP)
- Mathematics (MTH)
- Quantitative Life Sciences (QLS)
After the completion of the courses (including examinations), participants are required to work on a dissertation, to be submitted and defended.
The Postgraduate Diploma Programme started in 1991, and since then, many of its graduates have gone on to do PhDs at various prestigious universities, including in Europe and North America. Many of them, after a few postdoctoral stints abroad, have returned to their home countries, where they are actively involved in teaching and in developing advanced research groups there. Others have pursued scientific careers in leading scientific institutions worldwide. Many former students continue to maintain an active collaboration with ICTP throughout their careers.
The Programme is open to young qualified graduates in physics, mathematics or related fields. A limited number of scholarships (around 10 per field) are awarded to successful candidates from developing countries (with particular emphasis on students from the least developed regions of the world) to cover travel and living expenses during their stay at ICTP. The selection of the candidates is based on their university performance as well as on academic recommendations. The selection committee aims to select the best academically qualified candidates while striving for gender balance and geographical distribution.
Application and Admission
Qualifications and Scholarships
- The Postgraduate Diploma Programme is open to young (generally below 28 years of age), qualified graduates from all countries that are members of the United Nations, UNESCO or IAEA.
- The minimum qualification for applicants is a degree equivalent to an MSc (or an exceptionally good BSc) in physics, mathematics or in a field related to the topics listed below. The selection of candidates will be based on their university record and on academic recommendations.
- Since the Postgraduate Diploma Programme is in English, fluency in speaking and writing is an essential qualification.
- The applicant is expected to have adequate knowledge of the following topics in the specific field for which he/she is applying:
For High Energy, Cosmology and Astropartical Physics: classical mechanics; electrodynamics; special theory of relativity; quantum mechanics; statistical mechanics.
In addition to completing an online application form, candidates should upload the following as part of their application:
- Copies of transcripts of university academic records and university degrees in English (The selected candidates will be required to provide originals or certified copies of these documents as well as of their official English translation before he/she can be admitted to the Programme).
- Any certificates or documents that give proof of the student's ability to follow advanced-level courses, study and write scientific literature in the English language.
- Two letters of recommendation, from senior scientists familiar with the applicant's studies and work.
If you have problems with the online application, please contact the Diploma Office at email@example.com.
More contact details are available on the Diploma Office page.
|Date Posted:||Feb 12, 2020||Closing Date:||Feb 29, 2020|